Old 07-28-2008, 06:34 PM
Stephen Harris

Default Hardware serial number access from (a) command(s)

On Mon, Jul 28, 2008 at 11:26:30AM -0700, MHR wrote:
> Over the weekend, I had to make a technical support call on one of my
> DVD burners, and at one point the recorded message mentioned I should
> have my serial number handy. I thought there was a way to read that
> from at least one piece of software on the system, but I couldn't
> remember one and man -k on a number of subjects was unrevealing.

On a Dell, "dmidecode" will give you the serial number of the system.
(I can see motherboard, chasis, memory sticks on my machine).

Doubt if you can get the serial number of the DVD burner.

--

rgds
Stephen

Old 07-28-2008, 06:43 PM
MHR

On Mon, Jul 28, 2008 at 11:34 AM, Stephen Harris <lists@spuddy.org> wrote:

> On a Dell, "dmidecode" will give you the serial number of the system.
> (I can see motherboard, chasis, memory sticks on my machine).

I did that. The only item of real interest (i.e., surprise) was that
the CPU was listed as a Sempron-class CPU, which I found rather odd
for an AMD 64x2 (which it also correctly identified).

> Doubt if you can get the serial number of the DVD burner.

Didn't see it there....

Thanks.

mhr

Old 07-28-2008, 06:56 PM
Alex

On Mon, 28 Jul 2008 11:26:30 -0700
MHR <mhullrich@gmail.com> took out a #2 pencil and scribbled:

> Over the weekend, I had to make a technical support call on one
> of my DVD burners, and at one point the recorded message
> mentioned I should have my serial number handy. I thought there
> was a way to read that from at least one piece of software on the
> system, but I couldn't remember one and man -k on a number of
> subjects was unrevealing.
>
> Can someone enlighten me (us)?
>
> Thanks.
>
> mhr

You can try hdparm -i /dev/yourdevice

You may need to run this as root. There is a field for Serial
Number, but for my devices no serial number is provided. This may
not help you, but it could work.

Output from my system:

[prata@crane ~]$ sudo hdparm -i /dev/hdc

/dev/hdc:

Model=Pioneer DVD-ROM ATAPIModel DVD-106S 011, FwRev=E1.14,
SerialNo= Config={ Fixed Removeable DTR<=5Mbs DTR>10Mbs
nonMagnetic }.....other info is there but is not relevant.

HTH

Alex White
--
ethericalzen@gmail.com
Life is a prison, death is a release

Old 07-28-2008, 06:59 PM
"Lanny Marcus"

On Mon, Jul 28, 2008 at 1:26 PM, MHR <mhullrich@gmail.com> wrote:
> Over the weekend, I had to make a technical support call on one of my
> DVD burners, and at one point the recorded message mentioned I should
> have my serial number handy. I thought there was a way to read that
> from at least one piece of software on the system, but I couldn't
> remember one and man -k on a number of subjects was unrevealing.
>
> Can someone enlighten me (us)?

PITA. You will probably need to open the box and look at the label on
the drive.

The Maxtor software I use to check our hard drives tells what the SN is,
among other things.

Now, the company should be open. Possibly send their Tech Support an
email and ask if there is a way for you to get the SN, without opening the box.

Two of our Dell Dimension boxes are very easy to open, if the plastic
doesn't bend,
but in our 3 other boxes, this would be a PITA.

Old 07-28-2008, 07:02 PM
"Lanny Marcus"

On Mon, Jul 28, 2008 at 1:26 PM, MHR <mhullrich@gmail.com> wrote:
> Over the weekend, I had to make a technical support call on one of my
> DVD burners, and at one point the recorded message mentioned I should
> have my serial number handy. I thought there was a way to read that
> from at least one piece of software on the system, but I couldn't
> remember one and man -k on a number of subjects was unrevealing.
>
> Can someone enlighten me (us)?

Follow on: When I had a problem with the Teac CD-RW drive in my daughters box,
I sent an email to Teac Tech Support, asking if they had Diagnostics
for it. The reply
was that they had no Diagnostics. I put it into the trash and I will
not buy any more
Teac drives, because they have no Diagnostics. If the company has Diagnostics
for your DVD burner, that will probably be able to show you the SN.

Old 07-28-2008, 07:08 PM
"Ross S. W. Walker"

MHR wrote:
> Over the weekend, I had to make a technical support call on one of my
> DVD burners, and at one point the recorded message mentioned I should
> have my serial number handy. I thought there was a way to read that
> from at least one piece of software on the system, but I couldn't
> remember one and man -k on a number of subjects was unrevealing.
>
> Can someone enlighten me (us)?

libsmbios is good getting Dell service tag serial number of system.

hal-device is good getting specific device information:

23: udi = '/org/freedesktop/Hal/devices/storage_model_HL_DT_ST_GCR_8240N'
org.freedesktop.Hal.Device.Storage.method_execpath s = { 'hal-storage-eject', 'hal-storage-closetray' } (string list)
org.freedesktop.Hal.Device.Storage.method_argnames = { 'extra_options', 'extra_options' } (string list)
org.freedesktop.Hal.Device.Storage.method_signatur es = { 'as', 'as' } (string list)
org.freedesktop.Hal.Device.Storage.method_names = { 'Eject', 'CloseTray' } (string list)
info.interfaces = { 'org.freedesktop.Hal.Device.Storage', 'org.freedesktop.Hal.Device.Storage' } (string list)
info.addons = { 'hald-addon-storage' } (string list)
block.storage_device = '/org/freedesktop/Hal/devices/storage_model_HL_DT_ST_GCR_8240N' (string)
info.udi = '/org/freedesktop/Hal/devices/storage_model_HL_DT_ST_GCR_8240N' (string)
storage.cdrom.write_speeds = { } (string list)
storage.cdrom.write_speed = 0 (0x0) (int)
storage.cdrom.read_speed = 4224 (0x1080) (int)
storage.cdrom.support_media_changed = true (bool)
storage.cdrom.hddvdrw = false (bool)
storage.cdrom.hddvd = false (bool)
storage.cdrom.bdre = false (bool)
storage.cdrom.bdr = false (bool)
storage.cdrom.bd = false (bool)
storage.cdrom.dvdplusrdl = false (bool)
storage.cdrom.dvdplusrwdl = false (bool)
storage.cdrom.dvdplusrw = false (bool)
storage.cdrom.dvdplusr = false (bool)
storage.cdrom.dvdram = false (bool)
storage.cdrom.dvdrw = false (bool)
storage.cdrom.dvdr = false (bool)
storage.cdrom.dvd = false (bool)
storage.cdrom.cdrw = false (bool)
storage.cdrom.cdr = false (bool)
storage.requires_eject = true (bool)
storage.hotpluggable = false (bool)
info.capabilities = { 'storage', 'block', 'storage.cdrom' } (string list)
info.category = 'storage' (string)
info.product = 'HL-DT-ST GCR-8240N' (string)
storage.size = 0 (0x0) (uint64)
storage.removable = true (bool)
storage.removable.media_available = false (bool)
storage.physical_device = '/org/freedesktop/Hal/devices/pci_8086_27df_ide_0_0' (string)
storage.firmware_version = '1.10' (string)
storage.vendor = ' (string)
storage.model = 'HL-DT-ST GCR-8240N' (string)
storage.drive_type = 'cdrom' (string)
storage.automount_enabled_hint = true (bool)
storage.media_check_enabled = true (bool)
storage.no_partitions_hint = true (bool)
storage.bus = 'ide' (string)
block.is_volume = false (bool)
block.minor = 0 (0x0) (int)
block.major = 3 (0x3) (int)
block.device = '/dev/hda' (string)
linux.hotplug_type = 3 (0x3) (int)
info.parent = '/org/freedesktop/Hal/devices/pci_8086_27df_ide_0_0' (string)
linux.sysfs_path_device = '/sys/block/hda' (string)
linux.sysfs_path = '/sys/block/hda' (string)

-Ross

Old 07-28-2008, 07:09 PM
John R Pierce

Lanny Marcus wrote:

Follow on: When I had a problem with the Teac CD-RW drive in my daughters box,
I sent an email to Teac Tech Support, asking if they had Diagnostics
for it. ...

DVD burners, at $39 or so new, are pretty much disposable. i find most
burners are good for a few 100 disks then become less reliable.

Old 07-28-2008, 07:10 PM
"Lanny Marcus"

On Mon, Jul 28, 2008 at 1:56 PM, Alex <ethericalzen@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, 28 Jul 2008 11:26:30 -0700
> MHR <mhullrich@gmail.com> took out a #2 pencil and scribbled:
>
>> Over the weekend, I had to make a technical support call on one
>> of my DVD burners, and at one point the recorded message
>> mentioned I should have my serial number handy. I thought there
>> was a way to read that from at least one piece of software on the
>> system, but I couldn't remember one and man -k on a number of
>> subjects was unrevealing.
>>
>> Can someone enlighten me (us)?
>>
>> Thanks.
>>
>> mhr
>
> You can try hdparm -i /dev/yourdevice
>
> You may need to run this as root. There is a field for Serial
> Number, but for my devices no serial number is provided. This may
> not help you, but it could work.
>
> Output from my system:
>
> [prata@crane ~]$ sudo hdparm -i /dev/hdc
>
> /dev/hdc:
>
> Model=Pioneer DVD-ROM ATAPIModel DVD-106S 011, FwRev=E1.14,
> SerialNo= Config={ Fixed Removeable DTR<=5Mbs DTR>10Mbs
> nonMagnetic }.....other info is there but is not relevant.

Mark: Try that! On my Desktop, it gives me the SN for the HD (hda),
but the space for
SN is blank, for hdc (DVD reader) and hdd (CD-RW). . If you are lucky,
on your box, it will give you the SN for the DVD
burner. Lanny

Old 07-28-2008, 07:17 PM
MHR

> PITA. You will probably need to open the box and look at the label on
> the drive.

I'll have to do that anyway - they said it was probably defective and
I should send it back for an exchange.

Foo.

mhr

Old 07-28-2008, 07:17 PM
"Lanny Marcus"

On Mon, Jul 28, 2008 at 2:09 PM, John R Pierce <pierce@hogranch.com> wrote:
> Lanny Marcus wrote:
>>
>> Follow on: When I had a problem with the Teac CD-RW drive in my daughters
>> box,
>> I sent an email to Teac Tech Support, asking if they had Diagnostics
>> for it. ...
>>
> DVD burners, at $39 or so new, are pretty much disposable. i find most
> burners are good for a few 100 disks then become less reliable.

We live in South America, so things cost more down here and probably the model
I would specify, if I were in the USA, can't be found here. . I have
had better luck
with burners made by other companies. We have a Sony CD-RW drive, in an old
box and it is still running. Someone on the list told me months ago he doesn't
order Teac drives and I think he said he'd had good luck with LG
drives. I bought
an LG DVD burner for my wife's box. No more Teac stuff for me. Sony
had Diagnostics
for the CD-RW drive and it checked out OK.