-   -   Now you did it Olly (http://www.linux-archive.org/centos/132474-now-you-did-olly.html)

Robert Moskowitz 07-27-2008 02:36 PM

Now you did it Olly

Oh, Boy. I am in trouble now....

I just installed Centos on a USB drive on my corp notebook. To not
TOUCH my corp drive.

I spent time with the drive partitioner to make sure that nothing was
done to the internal hard drive...

Well I missed something and I overwrote the encrypted bootloader on the
hard drive.

Now what? Can I rescue things?

I am leaving for my flight in a couple hours to Dublin for IETF
meeting. I have to get this working on my own.

I hope there is another copy of the old boot loader somewhere on that
system and some way to copy it?????

Craig White 07-27-2008 03:11 PM

Now you did it Olly

On Sun, 2008-07-27 at 10:36 -0400, Robert Moskowitz wrote:
> Oh, Boy. I am in trouble now....
>
> I just installed Centos on a USB drive on my corp notebook. To not
> TOUCH my corp drive.
>
> I spent time with the drive partitioner to make sure that nothing was
> done to the internal hard drive...
>
> Well I missed something and I overwrote the encrypted bootloader on the
> hard drive.
>
> Now what? Can I rescue things?
>
> I am leaving for my flight in a couple hours to Dublin for IETF
> meeting. I have to get this working on my own.
>
> I hope there is another copy of the old boot loader somewhere on that
> system and some way to copy it?????
----
Nope

whose bootloader was it?

Microsoft? You can re-install by booting installation CD and going to
recovery console and running 'fixmbr'

Craig

Robert Moskowitz 07-27-2008 03:22 PM

Now you did it Olly

Craig White wrote:

I just installed Centos on a USB drive on my corp notebook. To not
TOUCH my corp drive.

I spent time with the drive partitioner to make sure that nothing was
done to the internal hard drive...

Well I missed something and I overwrote the encrypted bootloader on the
hard drive.

Now what? Can I rescue things?

I am leaving for my flight in a couple hours to Dublin for IETF
meeting. I have to get this working on my own.

I hope there is another copy of the old boot loader somewhere on that
system and some way to copy it?????

----
Nope

whose bootloader was it?

Microsoft? You can re-install by booting installation CD and going to
recovery console and running 'fixmbr'

Yes. XP. But with the corp encrypted bootloader....

No install CD. Well I do have an XP install CD here. Also Ghost 9.0
that has some sort of bootloader fixer?

I seem to recall that there are two copies of either the bootloader or
partition table, one as a backup? But which is it?

Craig

Ned Slider 07-27-2008 03:44 PM

Now you did it Olly

Robert Moskowitz wrote:

Craig White wrote:

[...]

Nope, I don't believe there is a backup of the mbr anywhere - that it
the partition table that has two copies.

Interestingly, the recent mbr boot sector virus doing the rounds last
year made a backup copy of the mbr at sector 62, so if you'd happened to
have been infected then you could have recovered your original mbr from
that, but I guess you're out of luck.

You haven't lost any data thought, just your ability to boot. A trip to
corporate IT may be in order.