Old 07-27-2008, 12:51 PM
Kai Schaetzl

Default smartd on RAID controllers?

It seems I can't smarm monitor disks on RAID controllers? I tried on
several machines with two different controllers and on all I get this when
starting up smartd:

Jul 27 14:36:43 c1 smartd[5944]: Opened configuration file
/etc/smartd.conf
Jul 27 14:36:43 c1 smartd[5944]: Configuration file /etc/smartd.conf
parsed.
Jul 27 14:36:43 c1 smartd[5944]: Device: /dev/sda, opened
Jul 27 14:36:43 c1 smartd[5944]: Device: /dev/sda, Bad IEC (SMART) mode
page, err=4, skip device
Jul 27 14:36:43 c1 smartd[5944]: Unable to register SCSI device /dev/sda
at line 32 of file /etc/smartd.conf
Jul 27 14:36:43 c1 smartd[5944]: Device /dev/sda not available

/dev/sda is the virtual disk as it appears to CentOS as I can access it
with hdparm.
Do I need to use another device for the RAID array (which?) or is it
impossible to smart monitor "thru" a RAID controller?

Kai

--
Kai Schätzl, Berlin, Germany

Old 07-27-2008, 01:07 PM
"Jim Perrin"

On Sun, Jul 27, 2008 at 8:51 AM, Kai Schaetzl <maillists@conactive.com> wrote:
> It seems I can't smarm monitor disks on RAID controllers? I tried on
> several machines with two different controllers and on all I get this when
> starting up smartd:

> /dev/sda is the virtual disk as it appears to CentOS as I can access it
> with hdparm.
> Do I need to use another device for the RAID array (which?) or is it
> impossible to smart monitor "thru" a RAID controller?

This depends on the raid controller. 3ware and a few others will pass
info, though you have to tell smart about them in the config. Many
hardware raid controllers will not pass smart info, as it's not just
one drive you're watching, and the vendor has their own solution for
that.

George Orwell

Old 07-27-2008, 01:39 PM
Rainer Duffner

[...]

What controller would that be?

Rainer

Old 07-27-2008, 03:35 PM
"Robert - elists"

> /dev/sda is the virtual disk as it appears to CentOS as I can access it
> with hdparm.
> Do I need to use another device for the RAID array (which?) or is it
> impossible to smart monitor "thru" a RAID controller?
>
> Kai

Kai

Shouldn't there be another "layer" ?

Is this a real hardware raid controller?

I do not remember the specifics, yet when we did this on HP proliant boxes
with hardware raid, we had to play with the config files and setup for the
raid *drivers* so to speak

On old boxes with raid5 we would be monitoring something like

/dev/ida/c0d0

And on newer boxes with raid1 or raid5 we would be monitoring something like

/dev/cciss/c0d0

- rh

Old 07-27-2008, 06:31 PM
Kai Schaetzl

Jim Perrin wrote on Sun, 27 Jul 2008 09:07:19 -0400:

> This depends on the raid controller.

Ah, I see. I listed them in the reply to Rainer.

Kai

--
Kai Schätzl, Berlin, Germany

Old 07-27-2008, 06:31 PM
Kai Schaetzl

Rainer Duffner wrote on Sun, 27 Jul 2008 15:39:34 +0200:

> What controller would that be?

It's Dell SAS 6iR and HP "8 Port HBA Host Controller" (as they call it).
Both are LSI 1068-based, not sure if exactly the same chip.

Kai

--
Kai Schätzl, Berlin, Germany

Old 07-27-2008, 06:31 PM
Kai Schaetzl

Robert - elists wrote on Sun, 27 Jul 2008 08:35:24 -0700:

> /dev/ida/c0d0
> /dev/cciss/c0d0

I looked around, but none of these :-( /dev/disk points to pci ids and then
to /dev/sda etc. It's a PCI-based controller that HP calls "HP 8 Port HBA
Controller" or so. In a DL140 G3.

Kai

--
Kai Schätzl, Berlin, Germany

Old 07-27-2008, 10:22 PM
Rainer Duffner

I looked around, but none of these :-( /dev/disk points to pci ids
and then
to /dev/sda etc. It's a PCI-based controller that HP calls "HP 8
Port HBA

Controller" or so. In a DL140 G3.

For HP, you should get the data if you install the Insight Manager
agents.

For Dell - I don't know.

cu,
Rainer

Old 07-28-2008, 06:31 PM
Kai Schaetzl

Rainer Duffner wrote on Mon, 28 Jul 2008 00:22:03 +0200:

> For HP, you should get the data if you install the Insight Manager
> agents.

I didn't install any software from HP on the HP machine. After half-an-
hour searching on the site I finally found an "hpasm" package that seems
to be it. They make it really hard to find it as it doesn't appear when
searching for "drivers and software" for the server.
Unfortunately, that didn't change anything. hpasmd is running, but
hpasmcli just hangs when I try it out. There was an hp-OpenIPMI packaged
mentioned, I'll search for that - tomorrow. Thanks for the hint, anyway.

Kai

--
Kai Schätzl, Berlin, Germany

Old 07-28-2008, 06:41 PM
MHR

On Mon, Jul 28, 2008 at 11:31 AM, Kai Schaetzl <maillists@conactive.com> wrote:

> I didn't install any software from HP on the HP machine. After half-an-
> hour searching on the site I finally found an "hpasm" package that seems
> to be it. They make it really hard to find it as it doesn't appear when
> searching for "drivers and software" for the server.
> Unfortunately, that didn't change anything. hpasmd is running, but
> hpasmcli just hangs when I try it out. There was an hp-OpenIPMI packaged
> mentioned, I'll search for that - tomorrow. Thanks for the hint, anyway.

I'm just guessing here, but it seems like "hpasm" is just there to
make you feel good on their machines, especially if they make it hard
for you to find it. Or maybe it makes the machine feel good....

SCNR

mhr