Old 07-25-2008, 08:46 PM
"David Hl√°ńćik"

Default 2 DHCP servers - different VLAN's

Hello¬* guys,
¬*
to describe my scenario
¬*
i have 4 VLANS on my switch, each VLAN is different subject. I have one DHCP server for 3 VLANS + second one DHCP server for 1 VLAN - named VLAN 7¬*.
¬*
Problem is , this started to make problems suddenly. VLAN 7 is not recieving IP adress from correct DHCP server . On DHCP server where declaration for subnet is configured, i am recieving this message :
¬*
Jul 25 12:38:47 boss dhcpd: DHCPNAK on 10.123.42.169 to 00:16:cf:93:1f:33 via eth0
Jul 25 12:38:52 boss dhcpd: DHCPREQUEST for 10.123.42.169 from 00:16:cf:93:1f:33 via eth0: wrong network.

¬*
How can i solve it and what does it mean?

I am using authoritative clausule in each subnet deffinition.
¬*
Thanks in advance!

David

Old 07-25-2008, 09:27 PM
Scott Silva

on 7-25-2008 1:46 PM ÔŅĹ spake the following:

Hello guys,

to describe my scenario

i have 4 VLANS on my switch, each VLAN is different subject. I have one
DHCP server for 3 VLANS + second one DHCP server for 1 VLAN - named VLAN 7 .

Problem is , this started to make problems suddenly. VLAN 7 is not
recieving IP adress from correct DHCP server . On DHCP server where
declaration for subnet is configured, i am recieving this message :

Jul 25 12:38:47 boss dhcpd: DHCPNAK on 10.123.42.169
<http://10.123.42.169> to 00:16:cf:93:1f:33 via eth0
Jul 25 12:38:52 boss dhcpd: DHCPREQUEST for 10.123.42.169
<http://10.123.42.169> from 00:16:cf:93:1f:33 via eth0: wrong network.

How can i solve it and what does it mean?

I am using authoritative clausule in each subnet deffinition.

Thanks in advance!

Maybe that interface isn't properly supporting the VLAN tagging and packets
leak through.

--
MailScanner is like deodorant...
You hope everybody uses it, and

Old 07-26-2008, 01:51 AM
"Matt Shields"

i have 4 VLANS on my switch, each VLAN is different subject. I have one DHCP server for 3 VLANS + second one DHCP server for 1 VLAN - named VLAN 7¬*.
¬*
Problem is , this started to make problems suddenly. VLAN 7 is not recieving IP adress from correct DHCP server . On DHCP server where declaration for subnet is configured, i am recieving this message :
¬*
Jul 25 12:38:47 boss dhcpd: DHCPNAK on 10.123.42.169 to 00:16:cf:93:1f:33 via eth0
Jul 25 12:38:52 boss dhcpd: DHCPREQUEST for 10.123.42.169 from 00:16:cf:93:1f:33 via eth0: wrong network.

¬*
How can i solve it and what does it mean?

I am using authoritative clausule in each subnet deffinition.
¬*
Thanks in advance!

David

If VLAN 7 has access to the VLAN that the primary dhcp server is on, you need to somehow block dhcp requests.¬* What I did was besides using VLAN's on my switches, I have a Sonicwall firewall which handles the actual routing between vlans, then I set certain vlans to use the first dhcp server via a dhcp helper in the firewall.¬* Then in the other vlan I point the dhcp helper at the second dhcp server.

--
-matt