Old 07-25-2008, 11:06 AM
"Mag Gam"

Default Centos 5.1 NFS problems

I know this is a centos forum but I suppose it would be appropriate to
ask a redhat question :-)

Is anyone aware of a NFS client/server problem with Redhat 5.1 where
the client/NFS do extra lookup() and getattr() calls? This is very
similar to CentOS' problem,
http://bugs.centos.org/view.php?id=2635

My question is, would upgrading the kernel help? or is this a userland issue?

TIA

Old 07-25-2008, 11:11 AM
Ralph Angenendt

Mag Gam wrote:
> I know this is a centos forum but I suppose it would be appropriate to
> ask a redhat question :-)
>
> Is anyone aware of a NFS client/server problem with Redhat 5.1 where
> the client/NFS do extra lookup() and getattr() calls? This is very
> similar to CentOS' problem,
> http://bugs.centos.org/view.php?id=2635
>
> My question is, would upgrading the kernel help? or is this a userland issue?

Update to 5.2

Ralph

Old 07-25-2008, 11:22 AM
"Mag Gam"

Not an option at my university :-(

Old 07-25-2008, 11:30 AM
Ralph Angenendt

Mag Gam wrote:
> Not an option at my university :-(

Then read through the bug report you mentioned and try one of those
kernels. And update to 5.2 - as you won't get *any* security updates for
5.1 anymore except if you bought in for 5.1.z.

And don't top post and please trim your replies.

Ralph

Old 07-25-2008, 12:15 PM
"Akemi Yagi"

On Fri, Jul 25, 2008 at 4:22 AM, Mag Gam <magawake@gmail.com> wrote:
> Not an option at my university :-(

Then you can try the patched kernel offered by Johnny Hughes:

http://people.centos.org/~hughesjr/kernel/5/bz321111/

Akemi

Old 07-25-2008, 03:58 PM
Scott Silva

on 7-25-2008 4:06 AM Mag Gam spake the following:

I know this is a centos forum but I suppose it would be appropriate to
ask a redhat question :-)

Is anyone aware of a NFS client/server problem with Redhat 5.1 where
the client/NFS do extra lookup() and getattr() calls? This is very
similar to CentOS' problem,
http://bugs.centos.org/view.php?id=2635

My question is, would upgrading the kernel help? or is this a userland issue?

TIA
CentOS didn't make that problem, they inherited it from RedHat. 5.2 is
supposed to fix that. Update when you can.

--
MailScanner is like deodorant...
You hope everybody uses it, and

Old 07-25-2008, 04:29 PM
John R Pierce

Mag Gam wrote:

Not an option at my university :-(

you mean, your university never installs security patches and updates?!?

5.1->5.2 is as simple as `yum update`

Old 07-25-2008, 05:03 PM
"Stephen John Smoogen"

On Fri, Jul 25, 2008 at 5:22 AM, Mag Gam <magawake@gmail.com> wrote:
> Not an option at my university :-(

Well you were planning to update the kernel.. you need to get the one from 5.2.

--
Stephen J Smoogen. -- BSD/GNU/Linux

Old 07-25-2008, 08:03 PM
"Stephen John Smoogen"

On Fri, Jul 25, 2008 at 10:29 AM, John R Pierce <pierce@hogranch.com> wrote:
> Mag Gam wrote:
>>
>> Not an option at my university :-(
>>

> you mean, your university never installs security patches and updates?!?
>
> 5.1->5.2 is as simple as `yum update`

Or they no longer have RHN access. At which point, it would be better
to move to CentOS.

--
Stephen J Smoogen. -- BSD/GNU/Linux

Old 07-26-2008, 04:54 PM
"Mag Gam"

Thankyou everyone. I updated the 5.2 kernel onto 5.1 and everything
seems to work fine.

Thanks for all of your help and wisdom.

TIA