Old 07-24-2008, 10:42 PM
"Milt Mallory"

Default 6TB SCSI RAID vs. Centos

I have an Infortrend RAID box I’d like to see as one
big 6TB partition, but I only can get 2.2TB partitions to work. I was trying to
do this with an Adaptec controller but apparently they are only (any of them)
48 bits wide. Does anybody have a working system for SCSI/Centos over 2.2TB?

*

Milt Mallory

Topix.com

650-461-8316

*

Always consider the issues of progressive enhancement and
graceful degradation (from Dom Scripting manual)

*

Old 07-24-2008, 10:50 PM
"nate"

Milt Mallory wrote:
> I have an Infortrend RAID box I'd like to see as one big 6TB partition,
> but I only can get 2.2TB partitions to work. I was trying to do this
> with an Adaptec controller but apparently they are only (any of them) 48
> bits wide. Does anybody have a working system for SCSI/Centos over
> 2.2TB?

What have you done to try to get it working?

http://www.cyberciti.biz/tips/fdisk-unable-to-create-partition-greater-2tb.html

Last I recall drives larger than 2TB weren't "officially" supported by
Red hat so it may not be perfect.

The last infortrend systems I used supported exporting logical drives
of smaller sizes which worked for me.

Last I heard you couldn't boot off of drives larger than 2TB with a
normal bios(with Intel's EFI I think you can?).

nate

Old 07-24-2008, 10:51 PM
Joshua Baker-LePain

On Thu, 24 Jul 2008 at 6:42pm, Milt Mallory wrote

I have an Infortrend RAID box I'd like to see as one big 6TB partition,
but I only can get 2.2TB partitions to work. I was trying to do this
with an Adaptec controller but apparently they are only (any of them) 48
bits wide. Does anybody have a working system for SCSI/Centos over
2.2TB?

Are you using gpt disk labels and parted (rather than fdisk) to do your
partitioning?

--
Joshua Baker-LePain
QB3 Shared Cluster Sysadmin

Old 07-24-2008, 10:56 PM
Scott Silva

on 7-24-2008 3:42 PM Milt Mallory spake the following:
I have an Infortrend RAID box I’d like to see as one big 6TB partition,
but I only can get 2.2TB partitions to work. I was trying to do this
with an Adaptec controller but apparently they are only (any of them) 48
bits wide. Does anybody have a working system for SCSI/Centos over 2.2TB?

Did you try creating GPT partitions with parted? Fdisk won't do it.

--
MailScanner is like deodorant...
You hope everybody uses it, and

Old 07-25-2008, 02:04 AM
Tim Nelson

I'll second that... we recently put a system online with over 3TB of storage. The only way to create a storage medium that large was to use a gpt disk label and use parted to do the partitioning. mkfs had no problems formatting the partition and it's been working properly for quite some time now.

Tim Nelson
Systems/Network Support
Rockbochs Inc.
(218)727-4332 x105

Old 07-25-2008, 01:09 PM
"Ross S. W. Walker"

Title: Re: [CentOS] Re: 6TB SCSI RAID vs. Centos

There is another way too, make the disk a raw PV (no partition table) and use LVM.

LVM can handle PVs up to 2^64 in size.

Then when creating LVs you only have to worry about what the max file system size is.

-Ross

Old 07-25-2008, 01:26 PM
"Marcelo Roccasalva"

On Thu, Jul 24, 2008 at 7:51 PM, Joshua Baker-LePain <jlb17@duke.edu> wrote:
> On Thu, 24 Jul 2008 at 6:42pm, Milt Mallory wrote
>
>> I have an Infortrend RAID box I'd like to see as one big 6TB partition,
>> but I only can get 2.2TB partitions to work. I was trying to do this
>> with an Adaptec controller but apparently they are only (any of them) 48
>> bits wide. Does anybody have a working system for SCSI/Centos over
>> 2.2TB?
>
> Are you using gpt disk labels and parted (rather than fdisk) to do your
> partitioning?

You can't install centos (or redhat) over a gpt partition (unless
itanium platform) and there is a big chance your bios won't boot such
installation. I came with 2 solutions: if disk access performance
isn't important (as for backup), I do software raid; or I install two
little raid1 disks for the OS and then I use GPT or LVM on the
multi-tera raid of big disks.

--
Marcelo

"No ser acaso que sta vida moderna est teniendo ms de moderna que
de vida?" (Mafalda)

Old 07-25-2008, 05:39 PM
"Milt Mallory"

What SCSI controller are you using?

Old 07-25-2008, 07:55 PM
Tim Nelson

I'm using a Dell PERC 5/i with the drives configured as simple volumes (aka no hardware RAID). I beleive the PERCs are based on an LSI MegaRAID chipset/controller...

Tim Nelson
Systems/Network Support
Rockbochs Inc.
(218)727-4332 x105

Old 07-25-2008, 09:06 PM
"Milt Mallory"

Thanks for all the info. I have enough stuff to try to keep me busy for
a while...