Old 07-24-2008, 01:39 PM

Default How to detect whether running on VMware?

In article <g69q3o$f9v$1@softins.clara.co.uk>,
Tony Mountifield <tony@softins.clara.co.uk> wrote:
> Does anyone know how a program, script or shell user can best determine
> whether the machine is running on bare metal or is a VMware guest?

Thanks for the responses. Grepping for VMware in /proc/scsi/scsi or
the output from dmidecode look to be the most reliable options.

Cheers
Tony
--
Tony Mountifield
Work: tony@softins.co.uk - http://www.softins.co.uk

Old 07-24-2008, 01:40 PM

In article <48886F83.6090707@xplanation.com>,
Paul Bijnens <paul.bijnens@xplanation.com> wrote:
> Tony Mountifield wrote:
> > Does anyone know how a program, script or shell user can best determine
> > whether the machine is running on bare metal or is a VMware guest?
> >

> This paper show some very interesting tricks:
>
> http://handlers.sans.org/tliston/ThwartingVM*Detection*_Liston_Skoudis.pdf

Interesting link (once I'd removed the * characters) - thanks!

Cheers
Tony

Old 07-24-2008, 02:39 PM
Tom Brown

Does anyone know how a program, script or shell user can best determine
whether the machine is running on bare metal or is a VMware guest?

# dmidecode | grep Product
Product Name: VMware Virtual Platform

Old 07-24-2008, 02:52 PM
Rudi Ahlers

Tom Brown wrote:

Does anyone know how a program, script or shell user can best determine
whether the machine is running on bare metal or is a VMware guest?

# dmidecode | grep Product
Product Name: VMware Virtual Platform

mmm....

a XEN VPS gives me this:

# dmidecode | grep Product
/dev/mem: mmap: Bad address

--

Kind Regards
Rudi Ahlers

Check out my technical blog, http://blog.softdux.com for Linux or other technical stuff

Old 07-24-2008, 03:00 PM
Tom Brown

# dmidecode | grep Product
Product Name: VMware Virtual Platform

mmm....

a XEN VPS gives me this:
# dmidecode | grep Product
/dev/mem: mmap: Bad address

so its not running on VMware - great job done

Old 07-24-2008, 03:31 PM
Kai Schaetzl

Tony Mountifield wrote on Thu, 24 Jul 2008 11:47:04 +0000 (UTC):

> Does anyone know how a program, script or shell user can best determine
> whether the machine is running on bare metal or is a VMware guest?

AFAIK, VMWare uses vmnet32 drivers for ethernet and possibly others for
other devices as well.

Kai

--
Kai Schätzl, Berlin, Germany

Old 07-24-2008, 04:20 PM
Milton Calnek

believed to be clean.

Old 07-24-2008, 04:43 PM
Tom Brown

Tony Mountifield wrote:
| Does anyone know how a program, script or shell user can best
determine
| whether the machine is running on bare metal or is a VMware guest?

Obviously from the responses many people have a solution...
my question is "Why do you care?".

What is it that you would do (or not do) on a vmware guest that you
might do on bare metal?

install VMware tools perhaps?

Old 07-25-2008, 02:22 PM

In article <4888ABCA.8000203@calnek.com>,
Milton Calnek <milton@calnek.com> wrote:

> Tony Mountifield wrote:
> | Does anyone know how a program, script or shell user can best
> determine
> | whether the machine is running on bare metal or is a VMware guest?
> |

> Obviously from the responses many people have a solution...
> my question is "Why do you care?".
>
> What is it that you would do (or not do) on a vmware guest that you
> might do on bare metal?

Just trying to understand a 3rd party setup where I was pretty sure
one of their hosts was a vmware guest, but they didn't believe it was!
(it was set up for them by someone else)

Cheers
Tony

Old 07-25-2008, 07:57 PM
mouss