Old 07-24-2008, 12:23 PM
Monty Shinn

Default OT: backup media options

Greetings.

Sorry for the OT, but I'm looking for some advice regarding archiving.

I've always been a tape archive believer, but with SATA drives becoming
more reliable and much larger, I'm wondering if it is time to change my
opinion.

What are the benefits/pitfalls to begin archiving to "enterprise" level
SATA drives? Is it possible to use Amanda or Bacula to archive to a
drive, and maintain a archive regimen?

Archive to the drive, when the drive is full put it in an anti-static
bag, and place it in storage. Possibly archive to a mirrored pair if
one is really concerned.

We are considering using LTO4 as an archive medium.

With the tape densities these days, it appears the tapes are rather
fragile, and that head gap seems awful small.

Any thoughts are greatly appreciated.

Again, I'm sorry for the OT, but I figured I'd get knowledgeable

Thanks in advance for your time.

Monty

Old 08-01-2008, 09:09 PM
Kenneth Porter

--On Thursday, July 24, 2008 7:23 AM -0500 Monty Shinn