Old 07-24-2008, 05:01 AM
Barry Brimer

Default CentOS 4.4 Linux Booting problem

I'm running linux CentOS 4.4. Everything was working fine, then one day I
tried to log in, and my computer "hung"

I would boot off the install disc .. go into rescue mode .. and do an "rpm
-V initscripts" and if necessary .. reinstall the initscripts rpm .. you
could also do an "rpm -Va" to verify all rpms on your system.

Barry

Old 07-24-2008, 05:12 AM
Balaji

Dear All,

I'm running linux CentOS 4.4. Everything was working fine, then one day
I tried to log in, and my computer "hung"

Upon reboot I got this error message after the GRUB Bootloader screen:
/etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit: line 126: 442 Segmentation fault /bin/dmesg -n
$LOGLEVEL
Initialization hardware... /etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit: line 167: 450
Segmentation fault LC_ALL=C fgrep -xq "$1" /etc/hotplug/blacklist
>/dev/null
/etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit: line 167: 455 Segmentation fault LC_ALL=C fgrep
-xq "$1" /etc/hotplug/blacklist 2>/dev/null

Out of Memory: Killed process 722(sh).
Out of Memory: Killed process 1133(sh).
Out of Memory: Killed process 1151(sh).
07/21 17:32:20 checklock: stat failed, no file
07/21 17:32:20 locking the line
07/21 17:32:20 makelock(ttys1) called
07/21 17:32:20 checklock: stat failed, no file
07/21 17:32:20 cannot open /proc/0/cmdline: No such file or directory

After i have rebooted the PC once again and I have getting same problem
continuously.

After booted up the server, login showing as "(none) login:".

The following error are display on screen while execute the commands:-

-bash-3.00$ ifconfig
Warning: cannot open /proc/net/dev (No such file or directory). Limited
output.

-bash-3.00$ ls
ls:error while loading shared libraries: Ej: cannot open shared object
file: No such file or directory.

-bash-3.00$ ll
-bash: ll: command not found

We are not sure why this is happening. Can some one throw light on this.

Regards
-S.Balaji