Old 07-23-2008, 06:36 PM
"Ed Donahue"

Default prevent runaway PID taking down server (RAM/swap)

Is there a way I can prevent processes from taking up all the ram then swap until the box crashes/freezes?

I'm using IEs4Linux and the wineserver seems to start taking up RAM until my box dies, it happens slowly.

I am able to kill the sucker now, but I'd like to not have to worry about that.

sar -r
01:00:01 PM kbmemfree kbmemused* %memused kbbuffers* kbcached kbswpfree kbswpused* %swpused* kbswpcad
01:10:01 PM***** 5812****** 949580********** 99.39****** 5560******** 67688*** 189912*** 1841696** * ** 90.65*** * * 33300

01:20:01 PM***** 4736****** 950656********** 99.50****** 4832******* 119364******** 0******** 2031608***** 100.00** * ** 46104
01:30:02 PM***** 8788****** 946604********** 99.08**** * 1004** * * ** 32360******** 4******** 2031604****** 100.00* ** * 10672

01:52:50 PM****** LINUX RESTART

Old 07-23-2008, 07:05 PM
Nifty Cluster Mitch

On Wed, Jul 23, 2008 at 02:36:11PM -0400, Ed Donahue wrote:
> Sender: centos-bounces@centos.org
>
> Is there a way I can prevent processes from taking up all the ram then
> swap until the box crashes/freezes?
> I'm using IEs4Linux and the wineserver seems to start taking up RAM
> until my box dies, it happens slowly.
> I am able to kill the sucker now, but I'd like to not have to worry
> about that.
> sar -r
> 01:00:01 PM kbmemfree kbmemused %memused kbbuffers kbcached kbswpfree
> kbswpused %swpused kbswpcad
> 01:10:01 PM 5812 949580 99.39 5560
> 67688 189912 1841696 90.65 33300
> 01:20:01 PM 4736 950656 99.50 4832
> 119364 0 2031608 100.00 46104
> 01:30:02 PM 8788 946604 99.08 1004
> 32360 4 2031604 100.00 10672
> 01:52:50 PM LINUX RESTART

If wineserver has no hook for limiting its own footprint
add a ulimit to the startup script or use a wrapper with one.

Look at ulimit -a for all the limits and the man page. There are
multiple shared commons resources that may apply.

core file size (blocks, -c) 0
data seg size (kbytes, -d) unlimited
scheduling priority (-e) 0
file size (blocks, -f) unlimited
pending signals (-i) 20463
max locked memory (kbytes, -l) 32
max memory size (kbytes, -m) unlimited
open files (-n) 1024
pipe size (512 bytes, -p) 8
POSIX message queues (bytes, -q) 819200
real-time priority (-r) 0
stack size (kbytes, -s) 10240
cpu time (seconds, -t) unlimited
max user processes (-u) 20463
virtual memory (kbytes, -v) unlimited
file locks (-x) unlimited

You can check limits on a running process too.

$ cat /proc/29906/limits
Limit Soft Limit Hard Limit Units
Max cpu time unlimited unlimited ms
Max file size unlimited unlimited bytes
Max data size unlimited unlimited bytes
Max stack size 10485760 unlimited bytes
Max core file size 0 unlimited bytes
Max resident set unlimited unlimited bytes
Max processes 20463 20463 processes
Max open files 1024 1024 files
Max locked memory 32768 32768 bytes
Max address space unlimited unlimited bytes
Max file locks unlimited unlimited locks
Max pending signals 20463 20463 signals
Max msgqueue size 819200 819200 bytes
Max nice priority 0 0
Max realtime priority 0 0
Max realtime timeout unlimited unlimited us

--
T o m M i t c h e l l
Looking for a place to hang my hat :-(

Old 07-23-2008, 07:13 PM
"William L. Maltby"

On Wed, 2008-07-23 at 14:36 -0400, Ed Donahue wrote:
> Is there a way I can prevent processes from taking up all the ram then
> swap until the box crashes/freezes?

If the process is started from bash, whther by hand or script, I would
think that bash's "ulimit" builtin would give what you need? "man
bash", /ulimit

To prevent a process from running wild, it would have to be non-root
user I guess.

--
Bill