Old 07-23-2008, 12:59 PM
"Sean Carolan"

Default df command reports inaccurate results?

Can anyone help make sense of this? This is an ext3 partition. It's
only showing 403GB out of 426GB used, but then it says only 632MB
available? Where'd the extra ~25GB go?

[scarolan@server]$ df -H /disks/vrac5

/dev/sdb2 426GB 403GB 632MB 100% /disks/vrac5

Old 07-23-2008, 01:09 PM
Ralph Angenendt

Sean Carolan wrote:
> Can anyone help make sense of this? This is an ext3 partition. It's
> only showing 403GB out of 426GB used, but then it says only 632MB
> available? Where'd the extra ~25GB go?

Those are the ~ 5% which are automatically reserved for root ...

man tune2fs

Ralph

Old 07-23-2008, 01:26 PM
"William L. Maltby"

On Wed, 2008-07-23 at 15:09 +0200, Ralph Angenendt wrote:
> Sean Carolan wrote:
> > Can anyone help make sense of this? This is an ext3 partition. It's
> > only showing 403GB out of 426GB used, but then it says only 632MB
> > available? Where'd the extra ~25GB go?
>
> Those are the ~ 5% which are automatically reserved for root ...
>
> man tune2fs

Further, there is some overhead for i-nodes and what not. I don't recall
if that is included or excluded in/from the df calculations.

A "df -i" will likely show a *very* large number of available i-nodes
and a small percent used. I've many times made a file system and reduced
the number of i-nodes substantially and gained a *lot* of space. Due
diligence is required: the profile of number of files, average files
sizes, temporary files during busiest parts of the day, ... must be
taken into consideration to derive a "safe" usable number. Get wrong and
you'll need some aspirin for the headache.

Also, when making the file system, reducing the amount reserved for root
is usually safe on today's larger drives, especially on a relatively
stable system/user base/file/system usage.

--
Bill

Old 07-23-2008, 02:31 PM
Kai Schaetzl

William L. Maltby wrote on Wed, 23 Jul 2008 09:26:21 -0400:

> Also, when making the file system, reducing the amount reserved for root
> is usually safe on today's larger drives, especially on a relatively
> stable system/user base/file/system usage.

I gather this can't be done after creation?

Kai

--
Kai Schätzl, Berlin, Germany

Old 07-23-2008, 02:38 PM
Jens Larsson

> > Also, when making the file system, reducing the amount reserved for
> > root is usually safe on today's larger drives, especially on a
> > relatively stable system/user base/file/system usage.

> I gather this can't be done after creation?
> Kai

Remember: You can tune a file system, but you can't tune a fish.

% man tune2fs

The "-m" option.

/jens

--
Jens Larsson, NSC, Linköpings universitet, SE-58183 LINKÖPING, SWEDEN
Phone: +46-13-281432, Mobile: +46-709-521432, E-mail: jens@nsc.liu.se

Old 07-23-2008, 02:59 PM
"William L. Maltby"

On Wed, 2008-07-23 at 16:31 +0200, Kai Schaetzl wrote:
> William L. Maltby wrote on Wed, 23 Jul 2008 09:26:21 -0400:
>
> > Also, when making the file system, reducing the amount reserved for root
> > is usually safe on today's larger drives, especially on a relatively
> > stable system/user base/file/system usage.
>
> I gather this can't be done after creation?

Yes it can be adjusted. But since I used to do so much of this sort of
thing, it became second nature to do it at file creation time. "Man
tune2fs" has the details for adjusting by percentage or block count.

--
Bill

Old 07-23-2008, 03:02 PM
"William L. Maltby"

On Wed, 2008-07-23 at 16:38 +0200, Jens Larsson wrote:
> > > Also, when making the file system, reducing the amount reserved for
> > > root is usually safe on today's larger drives, especially on a
> > > relatively stable system/user base/file/system usage.
>
> > I gather this can't be done after creation?
> > Kai
>
> Remember: You can tune a file system, but you can't tune a fish.

Hootie and the Blowfish? They can be tuned! ;-)

> % man tune2fs
>
> The "-m" option.

or the -r option.

--
Bill

Old 07-23-2008, 03:31 PM
Kai Schaetzl

William L. Maltby wrote on Wed, 23 Jul 2008 10:59:05 -0400:

> Yes it can be adjusted. But since I used to do so much of this sort of
> thing, it became second nature to do it at file creation time. "Man
> tune2fs" has the details for adjusting by percentage or block count.

Great, thanks. Just in case I need it one day :-)

Kai

--
Kai Schätzl, Berlin, Germany

Old 07-23-2008, 03:50 PM
Ralph Angenendt

Kai Schaetzl wrote:
> William L. Maltby wrote on Wed, 23 Jul 2008 09:26:21 -0400:
>
> > Also, when making the file system, reducing the amount reserved for root
> > is usually safe on today's larger drives, especially on a relatively
> > stable system/user base/file/system usage.
>
> I gather this can't be done after creation?

That's why I said "man tune2fs" >

Yes, it can.

Cheers,

Ralph