Old 07-23-2008, 07:40 AM
Rudi Ahlers

Default how do I stop X / gnome via SSH?

Hi all

I need to disable / stop X from running on a remote server, to which I
only have SSH access, and I have never done this before. So, can someone
please tell me how todo it?

--

Kind Regards
Rudi Ahlers

Check out my technical blog, http://blog.softdux.com for Linux or other technical stuff

Old 07-23-2008, 07:59 AM
Paul Bijnens

Paul Bijnens wrote:

Rudi Ahlers wrote:

Hi all

I need to disable / stop X from running on a remote server, to which
I only have SSH access, and I have never done this before. So, can
someone please tell me how todo it?

telinit 3

And forgot to mention that, to disable it when the next time the server
reboots
edit the file /etc/inittab and set the default runlevel to 3, instead of
5, by

editing this line:

id:3:initdefault:

Old 07-23-2008, 08:09 AM
"A. Kirillov"

I need to disable / stop X from running on a remote server, to which I
only have SSH access, and I have never done this before. So, can
someone please tell me how todo it?

telinit 3

If you need the server to stay at runlevel 3 after a reboot
change id:5:initdefault: to id:3:initdefault: in /etc/inittab.
Make sure the required services are enabled at this runlevel.

Old 07-23-2008, 08:29 AM
Peter Kjellstrom

On Wednesday 23 July 2008, Paul Bijnens wrote:
> Rudi Ahlers wrote:
> > Hi all
> >
> > I need to disable / stop X from running on a remote server, to which I
> > only have SSH access, and I have never done this before. So, can
> > someone please tell me how todo it?
>
> telinit 3

This will cause the server to switch from runlevel 5 (which includes X) to
runlevel 3 (which does not). _But_ a small warning here: runlevel 3 may very
well differ in more ways that just lacking X. Depending on how your server is
configured you may shutdown some services you wanted to keep (you may also
start new ones you didn't expect).

To further investigate what you server does indeed run in runlevel 3 and 5
study relevant columns from the command: "chkconfig --list".

/Peter

Old 07-23-2008, 08:35 AM
Rudi Ahlers

Peter Kjellstrom wrote:

I need to disable / stop X from running on a remote server, to which I
only have SSH access, and I have never done this before. So, can
someone please tell me how todo it?

telinit 3

This will cause the server to switch from runlevel 5 (which includes X) to
runlevel 3 (which does not). _But_ a small warning here: runlevel 3 may very
well differ in more ways that just lacking X. Depending on how your server is
configured you may shutdown some services you wanted to keep (you may also
start new ones you didn't expect).

To further investigate what you server does indeed run in runlevel 3 and 5
study relevant columns from the command: "chkconfig --list".

/Peter

Thanx, I did notice it, but since this is a Xen server, with everything
running on the domU VM, I need very little running on the main server as
it is. So I have disabled a lot of unnecessary services as well.