Old 07-23-2008, 01:27 AM
"Joseph L. Casale"

Default Sendmail conf

A long time ago someone helped me with setting up sendmail
to simply queue

and relay mail. They suggested:

*

1) edit /etc/sysconfig/sendmail and set

*** "DAEMON=no"

2) edit /etc/mail/submit.mc and set

*** FEATURE(`msp', `[IP.of.relayhost]')dnl

*

Given the sendmail-cf RPM is already installed a
"service sendmail

restart" is enough to a light, direct submitting
sendmail setup.

*

How does one rewrite all mail to one specific address so it
can be filtered

by a user that receives all mail for this host? Can there be
a rule in place with the

above config? Hopefully that is just as easy in sendmail as
it is postfix!

*

Thanks!

jlc

Old 07-23-2008, 01:39 AM
Benjamin Karhan

]
] 1) edit /etc/sysconfig/sendmail and set
] "DAEMON=no"
] 2) edit /etc/mail/submit.mc and set
] FEATURE(`msp', `[IP.of.relayhost]')dnl
]
] Given the sendmail-cf RPM is already installed a "service sendmail
] restart" is enough to a light, direct submitting sendmail setup.
]
] How does one rewrite all mail to one specific address so it can be filtered
] by a user that receives all mail for this host? Can there be a rule in place
] with the above config? Hopefully that is just as easy in sendmail as it is
] postfix!

we have a special use system that does this...
it's easy enough... especially if other accounts don't actually exist
on the mail server...
first we define:

define(`LUSER_RELAY', `local:root')dnl

in sendmail.mc before regenerating the .cf file...
then, in /etc/aliases we also redefine "root" to the intended
"end recipients":

root: <(list of comma-separated) user(s)>

the end result being that ALL incoming email goes to the
account(s) listed in the root alias...
and i think that's about it... but then again, that particular
system is set up so that none of the other user accounts
that we are expecting email from actually exist...
i suppose you could simply "fix" that limitation by adding
similar forwards in /etc/aliases for any other actual account
such as:

<actual-local-user>: root

anyways... that seems a relatively simple solution...
if anyone can see problems/caveats jump right in...

B. Karhan
simon@pop.psu.edu
PRI/SSRI Unix Administrator