Old 07-22-2008, 07:22 PM
Scott Silva

Default Dual video card, 1 monitor each (ref dual head) CentoS4.6 xorg does only 1 head

on 7-22-2008 11:55 AM William L. Maltby spake the following:

On Tue, 2008-07-22 at 10:43 -0700, Chris Payne wrote:

On Tue, Jul 22, 2008 at 06:03:16AM -0400, William L. Maltby wrote:

Q1: Anyone have a two video card CentOS 4.6 setup working?

<snip>

During testing with various cards (Matrox, ATI Radeon, nVidia) I do recall
having all sorts of problems getting 2 ATI cards to work together in one
machine. I think I eventually found some documentation (not sure where :-( )
that pointed to an issue where the second ATI card did not initialize
properly. In fact, I seem to recall an ATI card would not initialize properly
unless it was the primary video card, ie the ATI Radeon 7500 PCI needed to be
set as primary in the bios over the Matrox G450 AGP in order for both to
work.

Well, that offers hope if I decide to stick it in the machine with the
Nvidia. Also, I've and old Diamond S3-based card I could pair up with
one of the Radeons, set the Radeon as primary and see what happens (if I
can set it in the BIOS - I looked and don't recall seeing a setting for
it). If the BIOS has no setting, I could swap slots and see what
happens.

You usually have a setting like "Init display first" with choices of "AGP" or
"PCI". WIth 2 PCI cards, I seem to remember it being judged by interrupt, but
can't recall if the higher or lower interrupt wins. If for some reason the
system sticks both PCI cards with the same interrupt, then all bets are off.
(It probably wouldn't work too well anyway, as they would also try to access
the same region of buffer space)

--
MailScanner is like deodorant...
You hope everybody uses it, and