-   -   Dual video card, 1 monitor each (ref dual head) CentoS4.6 xorg does only 1 head (http://www.linux-archive.org/centos/129512-dual-video-card-1-monitor-each-ref-dual-head-centos4-6-xorg-does-only-1-head.html)

Glenn 07-22-2008 03:45 PM

Dual video card, 1 monitor each (ref dual head) CentoS4.6 xorg does only 1 head

At 11:13 AM 7/22/2008, you wrote:

On Tue, 22 Jul 2008 06:03:16 -0400
"William L. Maltby" <CentOS4Bill@triad.rr.com> took out a #2 pencil
and scribbled:

> I need to start running a dual head on one of my machines.
> Eventual target is CentOS 5.x. Decided to test first on my 4.6
> setup (eventually it will achieve 5.x). Both machines are fully
> up to date.
>
> The test machine is 4.6, 2 radeon video cards. Searched the web,
> CentOS site, even bugzilla. This bugzilla entry from a 4.2
> system), http://bugs.centos.org/view.php?id=1875
> had only a WFM response.
>
> I've attached a gzipped text file of pertinent information.
>
> Briefly, kudzu did the right thing when I installed the second
> card. System-config-display also behaved correctly. X start ok,
> but will only use one head at a time. Adding a second "BusID" so
> that both cards are explicitly addressed didn't help. When the 2
> "BusID" entries are switched, the active screen doesn't move
> (it's always "Screen0") and the ignored screen ("Screen1")
> remains the same. The monitor attached to the video card for
> "Screen0" becomes the active one.
>
> Q1: Anyone have a two video card CentOS 4.6 setup working?
>
> Q2: Is it working in CentOS 5?
>
> Q3: Anyone see something I'm doing wrong? Suggestions?
>
> TIA,

This was addressed on the list at one point, and marked as solved
by the poster.

http://lists.centos.org/pipermail/centos/2007-May/080915.html

Does this help you out? I haven't had occasion to play with dual
head yet.

A quick google also turned this up, but it is not directly related
to CentOS, I run an nvidia card and can't speak to how well this
would work for you.

http://www.linuxine.com/2008/06/how-to-enable-dual-monitors-with-ati-diplay-card-in-linux.html

Mind the line wrapping.

HTH

Alex White

Good reading, even though I am not doing dual-head at the moment.

First thing that popped in my head upon reading the initial request
was check Matrox.. they've always been on the high-end and I knew
their graphics cards were well supported in Linux. Shop eBay and see
Matrox' site (http://www.matrox.com/graphics/en/support/drivers/) to
compare whether the card has a Linux driver. Many of their models are
dual-head on one card.

Cheers,
Glenn

"William L. Maltby" 07-22-2008 03:54 PM

On Tue, 2008-07-22 at 10:13 -0500, Alex wrote:
> On Tue, 22 Jul 2008 06:03:16 -0400
> "William L. Maltby" <CentOS4Bill@triad.rr.com> took out a #2 pencil
> and scribbled:
>
> > I need to start running a dual head on one of my machines.
> ><snip>

> > The test machine is 4.6, 2 radeon video cards. Searched the web,
> > CentOS site, even bugzilla. This bugzilla entry from a 4.2
> > system), http://bugs.centos.org/view.php?id=1875
> > had only a WFM response.
> >
> > I've attached a gzipped text file of pertinent information.
> >
> > Briefly, kudzu did the right thing when I installed the second
> > card. System-config-display also behaved correctly. X start ok,
> > but will only use one head at a time. <snip>

> > Q1: Anyone have a two video card CentOS 4.6 setup working?
> >
> > Q2: Is it working in CentOS 5?
> >
> > Q3: Anyone see something I'm doing wrong? Suggestions?
> >
> > TIA,
>
> This was addressed on the list at one point, and marked as solved
> by the poster.
>
> http://lists.centos.org/pipermail/centos/2007-May/080915.html

I appreciate the time you've taken to at least try to help. Thank you.

I had seen that in my searches. However, it's 64 bit related. I'm on 32
bit systems. It also gets ATI drivers not provided by CentOS -
antithetical to a subset of my goals. It was solving a different
problem, unfortunately.

He was trying, IIRC, to solve the problem of spanning desktops. My
eventual goal includes that. But step 1 is to try and get both working.
I would *like* to stay as much CentOS "pure" as possible, allowing for
inclusion of stuff from rpmforge, extras, KB's repo, etc.

This is important enough that I will buy a digital monitor to run on a
single video card if I must. But as mentioned, I've got lots of older
ones I can use.

> Does this help you out? I haven't had occasion to play with dual
> head yet.
>
> A quick google also turned this up, but it is not directly related
> to CentOS, I run an nvidia card and can't speak to how well this
> would work for you.
>
> http://www.linuxine.com/2008/06/how-to-enable-dual-monitors-with-ati-diplay-card-in-linux.html

As above, vendor-specific drivers not from a CentOS-related site are a
"last resort" option.

> <snip>

> Alex White

Again, thanks for replying.

Maybe this is something I can beg Dag, Axel (never used his repos yet)
or the CentOS crew to provide in extras or some such place.

I wait a little while and see what develops before I go begging or
taking a non-CentOS route.

--
Bill

"William L. Maltby" 07-22-2008 04:02 PM

On Tue, 2008-07-22 at 11:45 -0400, Glenn wrote:
> At 11:13 AM 7/22/2008, you wrote:
> >On Tue, 22 Jul 2008 06:03:16 -0400
> >"William L. Maltby" <CentOS4Bill@triad.rr.com> took out a #2 pencil
> >and scribbled:
> >
> > > I need to start running a dual head on one of my machines.
> > > Eventual target is CentOS 5.x. Decided to test first on my 4.6
> > ><snip>

> > > Briefly, kudzu did the right thing when I installed the second
> > > card. System-config-display also behaved correctly. X start ok,
> > > but will only use one head at a time. <snip>

> > > Q1: Anyone have a two video card CentOS 4.6 setup working?
> > >
> > > Q2: Is it working in CentOS 5?
> > >
> > > Q3: Anyone see something I'm doing wrong? Suggestions?
> > >
> > > TIA,
> >
> >This was addressed on the list at one point, and marked as solved
> >by the poster.
> >
> >http://lists.centos.org/pipermail/centos/2007-May/080915.html
> >
> >Does this help you out? I haven't had occasion to play with dual
> >head yet.
> >
> >A quick google also turned this up, but it is not directly related
> >to CentOS, I run an nvidia card and can't speak to how well this
> >would work for you.
> >
> >http://www.linuxine.com/2008/06/how-to-enable-dual-monitors-with-ati-diplay-card-in-linux.html
> >
> >Mind the line wrapping.
> >
> >HTH
> >
> >Alex White
>
> Good reading, even though I am not doing dual-head at the moment.
>
> First thing that popped in my head upon reading the initial request
> was check Matrox.. they've always been on the high-end and I knew
> their graphics cards were well supported in Linux. Shop eBay and see
> Matrox' site (http://www.matrox.com/graphics/en/support/drivers/) to
> compare whether the card has a Linux driver. Many of their models are
> dual-head on one card.

I'd considered that myself. But being an obstinate bastard with lots of
usabe hardwar laying around begging to be used, I tend to do things the
hard way. It's surprising how much I've learned over the years that way.

Anyway, I've ATI and Nvidia cards with dual capability (1 analog, 1
digital) and I figured that by now both would be supported even in EL
distros. Guessed wrong it seems.

My theory is it's a pure Xorg issue. I'll take the time to wait and see
what happens and then decide how to proceed.

Thank you for taking the time and effort.

--
Bill

Alex 07-22-2008 04:13 PM

Dual video card, 1 monitor each (ref dual head) CentoS4.6 xorg does only 1 head

On Tue, 22 Jul 2008 11:54:05 -0400
"William L. Maltby" <CentOS4Bill@triad.rr.com> took out a #2 pencil
and scribbled:

> Again, thanks for replying.
>
> Maybe this is something I can beg Dag, Axel (never used his repos
> yet) or the CentOS crew to provide in extras or some such place.
>
> I wait a little while and see what develops before I go begging or
> taking a non-CentOS route.

Well fine, if you're going to be sensible about it! =-P

I'll ask a friend of mine that runs dual head on a linux box what
he's using and get back with you. I'm not sure what his setup is
though.

Sincerely

Alex White
--
ethericalzen@gmail.com
Life is a prison, death is a release

"William L. Maltby" 07-22-2008 06:39 PM

On Tue, 2008-07-22 at 11:13 -0500, Alex wrote:
> On Tue, 22 Jul 2008 11:54:05 -0400
> "William L. Maltby" <CentOS4Bill@triad.rr.com> took out a #2 pencil
> and scribbled:
>
> ><snip>

> I'll ask a friend of mine that runs dual head on a linux box what
> he's using and get back with you. I'm not sure what his setup is
> though.

Well appreciated Alex! Thanks!

--
Bill

"William L. Maltby" 07-22-2008 06:49 PM

On Tue, 2008-07-22 at 10:16 -0700, MHR wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 22, 2008 at 8:54 AM, William L. Maltby
> <CentOS4Bill@triad.rr.com> wrote:
> >

> >> http://lists.centos.org/pipermail/centos/2007-May/080915.html
> >
> ><snip>

> Oh, my word - how many months ago was that! :-)
>
> Another major difference between what I was doing and what you are
> doing is that I had a single video card with dual head connectors on
> it. You are running two cards.

Yep, I'm a "greenie" at heart. *Nothing* goes to the dump until it is
properly aged or stinks to bad from the mold that grew on it in a deep,
dark, moist storage location. (:-P

I do have an Nvidia and another ATI with the analog and DVI connectors
though. So I can move that direction if needed.

> I don't think the problem was 64-bit related - either the card driver
> works or it does not. I am more convinced that it was an xorg issue,
> at least in part because the right xorg.conf setup made it work.

I also believe it's an xorg issue, even if it's the drivers they
provide.

> You might play around with anything that gives you both monitors and
> then see what comes up between system-config-display and using the ati
> configuration program.

Uh... you missed the start of the thread I guess. That was the point of
my OP. I even tried to do everything right - Kudzu,
system-config-display, manual massage of xorg.conf after initial
failure, googled fairly extensively, ... heck I even checked the CentOS
bugzilla! =:-O

> But, if you're looking for an all-CentOS solution, try going into
> system-config-display and set the monitors up to be generic lcd (or
> crt, if they're that old) with the right resolution settings and see
> what happens that way. I've found that to work on a number of systems
> where even the "right" hardware setting did not work the way I
> wanted/expected it to....

As mentioned, did that to start. Since the two monitors are identical at
this point, didn't have to dink with any of that to start. I did tweak
them later to suit my preferences.

> HTH, and ROR (Rots 'O Ruck, as opposed to LOL :-)

<*chuckle*> From what I've seen I'll needed it.

> mhr
> <snip sig stuff>

As we say when in Rome - A-rubber-ducky!

--
Bill

"William L. Maltby" 07-22-2008 06:55 PM

On Tue, 2008-07-22 at 10:43 -0700, Chris Payne wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 22, 2008 at 06:03:16AM -0400, William L. Maltby wrote:
> > Q1: Anyone have a two video card CentOS 4.6 setup working?
>
> <snip>

> During testing with various cards (Matrox, ATI Radeon, nVidia) I do recall
> having all sorts of problems getting 2 ATI cards to work together in one
> machine. I think I eventually found some documentation (not sure where :-( )
> that pointed to an issue where the second ATI card did not initialize
> properly. In fact, I seem to recall an ATI card would not initialize properly
> unless it was the primary video card, ie the ATI Radeon 7500 PCI needed to be
> set as primary in the bios over the Matrox G450 AGP in order for both to
> work.

Well, that offers hope if I decide to stick it in the machine with the
Nvidia. Also, I've and old Diamond S3-based card I could pair up with
one of the Radeons, set the Radeon as primary and see what happens (if I
can set it in the BIOS - I looked and don't recall seeing a setting for
it). If the BIOS has no setting, I could swap slots and see what
happens.

Thanks for the thought.

> <snip>
> --