Old 07-22-2008, 12:16 PM
Gopinath Achari

Default VNC server problem

HI all,

i am configuring VNC server in CentOS 5.1. i have enables this two
lines in /etc/sysconfig/vncserver file

VNCSERVERS="2:vnc"
VNCSERVERARGS[2]="-geometry 1024x768 -depth 24"

here i have created a user vnc and set the password using vncpasswd cmd.

then i started the vncserver

# vncserver

New 'localhost.localdomain:1 (gopinath)' desktop is
localhost.localdomain:1

Starting applications specified in /root/.vnc/xstartup
Log file is /root/.vnc/localhost.localdomain:1.log

The above message was displayed about executing vncserver command. no OK
status was displayed.

then i used cmd

vncviewer localhost.localdomain:5901

it prompted for the passwd i gave the password then

it started vncviewer but in that only cursor is displayed which can be
moved. but no GUI display.

Please help me on this if any one knows i am still a beginner to linux

Old 07-22-2008, 12:22 PM
Fabian Arrotin

Gopinath Achari wrote:

[...]

by default vnc launches twm .. that can be changed/configured in
~/.vnc/xstartup
alternative to vnc : NX/FreeNX available in the Extras repository and a
wiki page exists here : http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/FreeNX

--
-
Fabian Arrotin <fabian.arrotin@arrfab.net>

Old 07-22-2008, 12:25 PM
"Joseph L. Casale"

>VNCSERVERS="2:vnc"
>VNCSERVERARGS[2]="-geometry 1024x768 -depth 24"

Here you are starting a vncserver on port 5902 for user "vnc". Does he exist?

>here i have created a user vnc and set the password using vncpasswd cmd.

Ok

>then i started the vncserver
>
># vncserver
>
> New 'localhost.localdomain:1 (gopinath)' desktop is
> localhost.localdomain:1
>
> Starting applications specified in /root/.vnc/xstartup
> Log file is /root/.vnc/localhost.localdomain:1.log
>
>The above message was displayed about executing vncserver command. no OK
>status was displayed.

Well, you aren't seeing this message with that config. According to this, you
are starting a server on port 5901 for a user "gopinath" who appears to be root?

>then i used cmd
>
> vncviewer localhost.localdomain:5901
>
>it prompted for the passwd i gave the password then
>
>it started vncviewer but in that only cursor is displayed which can be
>moved. but no GUI display.
>
>Please help me on this if any one knows i am still a beginner to linux

You need to uncomment the two lines it says to uncomment in the file:
vi ~/.vnc/xstartup

Good luck,
jlc