Old 07-22-2008, 10:03 AM
"William L. Maltby"

Default Dual video card, 1 monitor each (ref dual head) CentoS4.6 xorg does only 1 head

I need to start running a dual head on one of my machines. Eventual
target is CentOS 5.x. Decided to test first on my 4.6 setup (eventually
it will achieve 5.x). Both machines are fully up to date.

The test machine is 4.6, 2 radeon video cards. Searched the web, CentOS
site, even bugzilla. This bugzilla entry from a 4.2 system),
http://bugs.centos.org/view.php?id=1875
had only a WFM response.

I've attached a gzipped text file of pertinent information.

Briefly, kudzu did the right thing when I installed the second card.
System-config-display also behaved correctly. X start ok, but will only
use one head at a time. Adding a second "BusID" so that both cards are
explicitly addressed didn't help. When the 2 "BusID" entries are
switched, the active screen doesn't move (it's always "Screen0") and the
ignored screen ("Screen1") remains the same. The monitor attached to the
video card for "Screen0" becomes the active one.

Q1: Anyone have a two video card CentOS 4.6 setup working?

Q2: Is it working in CentOS 5?

Q3: Anyone see something I'm doing wrong? Suggestions?

TIA,
--
Bill

Old 07-22-2008, 05:16 PM
MHR

On Tue, Jul 22, 2008 at 8:54 AM, William L. Maltby
<CentOS4Bill@triad.rr.com> wrote:

>> http://lists.centos.org/pipermail/centos/2007-May/080915.html
>
> I appreciate the time you've taken to at least try to help. Thank you.
>
> I had seen that in my searches. However, it's 64 bit related. I'm on 32
> bit systems. It also gets ATI drivers not provided by CentOS -
> antithetical to a subset of my goals. It was solving a different
> problem, unfortunately.
>
> He was trying, IIRC, to solve the problem of spanning desktops. My
> eventual goal includes that. But step 1 is to try and get both working.
> I would *like* to stay as much CentOS "pure" as possible, allowing for
> inclusion of stuff from rpmforge, extras, KB's repo, etc.

Oh, my word - how many months ago was that! :-)

Another major difference between what I was doing and what you are
doing is that I had a single video card with dual head connectors on
it. You are running two cards.

I don't think the problem was 64-bit related - either the card driver
works or it does not. I am more convinced that it was an xorg issue,
at least in part because the right xorg.conf setup made it work.

You might play around with anything that gives you both monitors and
then see what comes up between system-config-display and using the ati
configuration program.

But, if you're looking for an all-CentOS solution, try going into
system-config-display and set the monitors up to be generic lcd (or
crt, if they're that old) with the right resolution settings and see
what happens that way. I've found that to work on a number of systems
where even the "right" hardware setting did not work the way I
wanted/expected it to....

HTH, and ROR (Rots 'O Ruck, as opposed to LOL :-)

mhr

Old 07-22-2008, 05:43 PM
Chris Payne

On Tue, Jul 22, 2008 at 06:03:16AM -0400, William L. Maltby wrote:
> Q1: Anyone have a two video card CentOS 4.6 setup working?

A few years ago I worked on a setup for an accelerator control room where
multi-monitor was essential. After many iterations, we settled on nVidia NVS
400 quadro cards, a couple machines having 2 of these cards and driving 8
monitors (@ 1280x1024 that's 5120x2048 desktop). All this was on SL 4.2 I
think.

During testing with various cards (Matrox, ATI Radeon, nVidia) I do recall
having all sorts of problems getting 2 ATI cards to work together in one
machine. I think I eventually found some documentation (not sure where :-( )
that pointed to an issue where the second ATI card did not initialize
properly. In fact, I seem to recall an ATI card would not initialize properly
unless it was the primary video card, ie the ATI Radeon 7500 PCI needed to be
set as primary in the bios over the Matrox G450 AGP in order for both to
work.

> Q2: Is it working in CentOS 5?

Did not try, and now am in a new job.

> Q3: Anyone see something I'm doing wrong? Suggestions?

After testing the nVidia NVS 400's and settling on them, I did not pursue any
further. Sorry.

Good luck.
Chris
--
Chris Payne chris.payne@triumf.ca
TRIUMF ATLAS Tier-1 System Administrator - Networking