Old 07-22-2008, 01:20 AM
Bill Campbell

Default /etc/hosts missing localhost?

Is there any reason why /etc/hosts would be missing the line,
127.0.0.1 localhost?

I just spent an hour trying to figure out why I could not connect
to postgresql using ``psql -h ...', finally figuring out that
the /etc/hosts file was the problem.

Bill
Voice: (206) 236-1676 Mercer Island, WA 98040-0820
Fax: (206) 232-9186

To say that UNIX is doomed is pretty rabid, OS/2 will certainly play a role,
but you don't build a hundred million instructions per second multiprocessor
micro and then try to run it on OS/2. I mean, get serious.
-- William Zachmann, International Data Corp

Old 07-22-2008, 01:34 AM
"nate"

Bill Campbell wrote:
> Is there any reason why /etc/hosts would be missing the line,
> 127.0.0.1 localhost?

no.

nate

Old 07-22-2008, 01:39 AM
"Jim Perrin"

On Mon, Jul 21, 2008 at 9:20 PM, Bill Campbell <centos@celestial.com> wrote:
> Is there any reason why /etc/hosts would be missing the line,
> 127.0.0.1 localhost?

Nope. It's there by default in some form or another.

By default, it usually looks like this ->

127.0.0.1 installname localhost.localdomain localhost
::1 localhost6.localdomain6 localhost6

If you don't have anything like this in your /etc/hosts, you either
need to find a mirror and begin yelling at responsible parties, or
stalk whomever else has root on this particular machine.

George Orwell

Old 07-22-2008, 03:25 AM
Bill Campbell

On Mon, Jul 21, 2008, Jim Perrin wrote:
>On Mon, Jul 21, 2008 at 9:20 PM, Bill Campbell <centos@celestial.com> wrote:
>> Is there any reason why /etc/hosts would be missing the line,
>> 127.0.0.1 localhost?
>
>Nope. It's there by default in some form or another.
>
>By default, it usually looks like this ->
>
>127.0.0.1 installname localhost.localdomain localhost
>::1 localhost6.localdomain6 localhost6
>
>If you don't have anything like this in your /etc/hosts, you either
>need to find a mirror and begin yelling at responsible parties, or
>stalk whomever else has root on this particular machine.

I guess I could yell at myself as I'm doing kickstart installs from
a local mirror.

I found the same thing on two CentOS 5.1 installs here, one on a
VMware VM, the other on real iron. The wierd thing is that the
base VMware VM I have that I copy to create new VMs looks OK.
Now I'm going to have to poke around to see what's causing this
line to be deleted.

Bill
Voice: (206) 236-1676 Mercer Island, WA 98040-0820
Fax: (206) 232-9186

The Income Tax has made more Liars out of American people than Golf has.
Will Rogers

Old 07-22-2008, 07:26 PM
Rudi Ahlers

Bill Campbell wrote:

[...]

I had a similar problem using OpenVZ images, installed from kickstart -
almost like it's leaving some stuff out by default. So I ended up
creating the file manually and adding it to the kickstart file to be
copied over.

--

Kind Regards
Rudi Ahlers

Check out my technical blog, http://blog.softdux.com for Linux or other technical stuff

Old 07-22-2008, 09:08 PM
Bill Campbell

On Tue, Jul 22, 2008, Rudi Ahlers wrote:
> Bill Campbell wrote:

>>> Nope. It's there by default in some form or another.
>>>
>>> By default, it usually looks like this ->
>>>
>>> 127.0.0.1 installname localhost.localdomain localhost
>>> ::1 localhost6.localdomain6 localhost6
>>>
>>> If you don't have anything like this in your /etc/hosts, you either
>>> need to find a mirror and begin yelling at responsible parties, or
>>> stalk whomever else has root on this particular machine.
>>>

>> I guess I could yell at myself as I'm doing kickstart installs from
>> a local mirror.
>>
>> I found the same thing on two CentOS 5.1 installs here, one on a
>> VMware VM, the other on real iron. The wierd thing is that the
>> base VMware VM I have that I copy to create new VMs looks OK.
>> Now I'm going to have to poke around to see what's causing this
>> line to be deleted.
>>
>> Bill
>>
> I had a similar problem using OpenVZ images, installed from kickstart -
> almost like it's leaving some stuff out by default. So I ended up
> creating the file manually and adding it to the kickstart file to be
> copied over.

The file was OK after the kickstart install, and after a ``yum update'.
We install about 240 packages under the OpenPKG portable package management
system which may have caused this, but I have not seen this problem prior
to CentOS 5.2.

I did not check to see the status of the /etc/hosts file after configuring
the network with system-config-network, and before installing OpenPKG and
its packages. I may create a new VM, and run through the network
configuration etc. to see where this is happening (VMware snapshots and
revert sure simplify things like this :-).

Bill
Voice: (206) 236-1676 Mercer Island, WA 98040-0820
Fax: (206) 232-9186

Early in life I had noticed that no event is ever correctly reported
in a newspaper. -- George Orwell

Old 07-28-2008, 09:58 PM
Bill Campbell

Following up, info below.

On Tue, Jul 22, 2008, Bill Campbell wrote:
>On Tue, Jul 22, 2008, Rudi Ahlers wrote:
>> Bill Campbell wrote:

>>> I guess I could yell at myself as I'm doing kickstart installs from
>>> a local mirror.
>>>
>>> I found the same thing on two CentOS 5.1 installs here, one on a
>>> VMware VM, the other on real iron. The wierd thing is that the
>>> base VMware VM I have that I copy to create new VMs looks OK.
>>> Now I'm going to have to poke around to see what's causing this
>>> line to be deleted.
>>>
>>> Bill
>>>
>> I had a similar problem using OpenVZ images, installed from kickstart -
>> almost like it's leaving some stuff out by default. So I ended up
>> creating the file manually and adding it to the kickstart file to be
>> copied over.
>
>The file was OK after the kickstart install, and after a ``yum update'.
>We install about 240 packages under the OpenPKG portable package management
>system which may have caused this, but I have not seen this problem prior
>to CentOS 5.2.
>
>I did not check to see the status of the /etc/hosts file after configuring
>the network with system-config-network, and before installing OpenPKG and
>its packages. I may create a new VM, and run through the network
>configuration etc. to see where this is happening (VMware snapshots and
>revert sure simplify things like this :-).

I just did a fresh kickstart install of CentOS 5.2 as a VMware
virtual machine, and the 127.0.0.1 localhost line is missing
after doing ``yum update' when I run ``system-config-network'
to assign a static IP address to the new VM.

Bill
Voice: (206) 236-1676 Mercer Island, WA 98040-0820
Fax: (206) 232-9186

The cry has been that when war is declared, all opposition should
therefore be hushed. A sentiment more unworthy of a free country could
hardly be propagated. If the doctrine be admitted, rulers have only to
declare war and they are screened at once from scrutiny ... In war,
then, as in peace, assert the freedom of speech and of the press.
Cling to this as the bulwark of all our rights and privileges.
-- William Ellery Channing

Old 07-29-2008, 09:43 AM
"kapil singh"

Hello,
what about your postgresql settings ?
are you creating a role for connecting to postgres ?
if not creat role:

# /etc/init.d/postgresql restart
#su - postgres

(try to connecting here using your command psql -h, if it connects)

now,
(run command for creating role and setting up priviledges for other users.)

#creatuser -U postgres -P
edit the file /var/lib/pgsql/data/pg_hba.conf

and at the last lines it looks like:

# TYPE* DATABASE*** USER******* CIDR-ADDRESS********* METHOD

local** all******** all****************************** trust
# IPv4 local connections:

host*** all******** all******** 127.0.0.1/32********* trust
# IPv6 local connections:
host*** all******** all******** ::1/128************** ident sameuser

Good Luck

--
Thanks and Regards,
Kapil Singh Kushwah

Old 07-29-2008, 06:02 PM
Bill Campbell

On Tue, Jul 29, 2008, kapil singh wrote:

> Hello,
> what about your postgresql settings ?

There were no problems with the postgresql settings, only that
when trying to connect to ``localhost' it could not resolve that
to 127.0.0.1. ``psql -h 127.0.0.1 ...' worked. After updating
the /etc/hosts file to create the ``127.0.0.1 localhost' line,
things work fine.

Bill
Voice: (206) 236-1676 Mercer Island, WA 98040-0820
Fax: (206) 232-9186

About all I can say for the United States Senate is that it opens with
prayer and closes with an investigation. -- Will Rogers