Old 07-21-2008, 07:18 PM
MHR

Default nspluginwrapper included in CentOS 5.2 fails completely

I was wondering if anyone else had this problem.

I run CentOS 5.2 x86_64 on my workstation at home. Since 5.2 came out
with nepluginwrapper bundled into it, none of my plugins work. I
thought it was just a problem with the flash plugin, but neither the
mplayerplug-in plugins nor the adobe acrobat reader plugin work,
either.

I have this problem both with the Seamonkey contributed 64-bit build
and my own (otherwise perfectly working) native build of the 2.01a
pre-release trunk build (which I have been using since January, with
occasional updates, the most recent being about a week ago).

I have not tried going back to the 32-bit release of Seamonkey,
although I suppose that's next. I stopped using that when it kept
crashing when I tried to save a web page after having visited some
unknown threshold level of pages (i.e., it wouldn't do this on the
first or second web page, but somewhere down the line, a threshold was
crossed and it would crash fairly regularly). In discussions with the
Mozilla folks, I concluded that the problem had something to do with
running the 32-bit release on my 64-bit OS. Due to some peculiarity
in the 1.x Mozilla build process, I was never able to build a 64-bit
version of the 1.x releases, but I had no trouble running the L&G
not-yet-released revision, with occasional glitches from the bugs that
I ran into (and reported).

But, back to the point:

There are two major issues I have with the 5.2 bundled nspluginwrapper:

1) The nspluginwrapper program itself is gone, which makes it a little
(lot) harder to manage and troubleshoot the problems.

and, more importantly:

2) None of the 32-bit plugins that are supposed to be wrapped work. Period.

Is this something I should report in bugzilla, at CentOS (and
upstream)? I didn't see it in the bugs listed at CentOS.org.

Thanks.

mhr

Old 07-21-2008, 09:01 PM
"Lanny Marcus"

On Mon, Jul 21, 2008 at 2:18 PM, MHR <mhullrich@gmail.com> wrote:
> I was wondering if anyone else had this problem.
>
> I run CentOS 5.2 x86_64 on my workstation at home. Since 5.2 came out
> with nepluginwrapper bundled into it, none of my plugins work. I
> thought it was just a problem with the flash plugin, but neither the
> mplayerplug-in plugins nor the adobe acrobat reader plugin work,
> either.
<snip>
I am running the 32 bit kernel on my Desktop and I do *NOT* have that
problem. Is that limited to the
64 bit kernel or to your box? After I did the huge update to CentOS
5.2, everything continued to work
in Firefox 3.0. As I write this, I am listening on Streamaudio.com to
KOOL 97.3 (KEAG-FM)
in Anchorage, AK which uses mplayer.

Possibly you should install the 32 bit version of Firefox and the Plug
Ins, if they are not already
installed?

Old 07-21-2008, 09:22 PM
MHR

> <snip>
> I am running the 32 bit kernel on my Desktop and I do *NOT* have that
> problem.

Of course not - nspluginwrapper is a 64-bit mozilla plugin that wraps
32-bit plugins so they'll work with a 64-bit browser. :-)

> Possibly you should install the 32 bit version of Firefox and the Plug
> Ins, if they are not already installed?

That's a possibility (except that I really do not like Firefox), I
will try the 32-bit version of Seamonkey 1.1.11 and see if the problem
that moved me to the 64-bit browser has been cleaned up (and to bitch
about it long and loud if it is not! - not here, though... :-).

mhr

Old 07-21-2008, 09:24 PM
Alexander Kirillov

I run CentOS 5.2 x86_64 on my workstation at home. Since 5.2 came out
with nepluginwrapper bundled into it, none of my plugins work. I
thought it was just a problem with the flash plugin, but neither the
mplayerplug-in plugins nor the adobe acrobat reader plugin work,
either.

I have no problems with 32-bit flash and 64-bit mplayer plugins in 64-bit Firefox.
Haven't tried adobe acrobat yet.

For flash plugin to work with 64-bit browser you need to install
both x86_64 and i386 versions of nspluginwrapper with all the dependencies
and run mozilla-plugin-config -i

Old 07-21-2008, 09:35 PM
"Stephen John Smoogen"

On Mon, Jul 21, 2008 at 3:22 PM, MHR <mhullrich@gmail.com> wrote:
>> <snip>
>> I am running the 32 bit kernel on my Desktop and I do *NOT* have that
>> problem.
>
> Of course not - nspluginwrapper is a 64-bit mozilla plugin that wraps
> 32-bit plugins so they'll work with a 64-bit browser. :-)

Interesting... nspluginwrapper is also installed on my Fedora 9
system. I thought it was wrapping various flash stuff but that looks
like that is a different plugin.

>> Possibly you should install the 32 bit version of Firefox and the Plug
>> Ins, if they are not already installed?
>
> That's a possibility (except that I really do not like Firefox), I
> will try the 32-bit version of Seamonkey 1.1.11 and see if the problem
> that moved me to the 64-bit browser has been cleaned up (and to bitch
> about it long and loud if it is not! - not here, though... :-).
>
> mhr

Stephen J Smoogen. -- BSD/GNU/Linux

Old 07-21-2008, 09:41 PM
"Lanny Marcus"

> On Mon, Jul 21, 2008 at 2:18 PM, MHR <mhullrich@gmail.com> wrote:
>> I was wondering if anyone else had this problem.
>>
>> I run CentOS 5.2 x86_64 on my workstation at home. Since 5.2 came out
>> with nepluginwrapper bundled into it, none of my plugins work. I
>> thought it was just a problem with the flash plugin, but neither the
>> mplayerplug-in plugins nor the adobe acrobat reader plugin work,
>> either.
> <snip>
> I am running the 32 bit kernel on my Desktop and I do *NOT* have that
> problem. Is that limited to the
> 64 bit kernel or to your box? After I did the huge update to CentOS
> 5.2, everything continued to work
> in Firefox 3.0. As I write this, I am listening on Streamaudio.com to
> KOOL 97.3 (KEAG-FM)
> in Anchorage, AK which uses mplayer.
>
> Possibly you should install the 32 bit version of Firefox and the Plug
> Ins, if they are not already
> installed?

http://wiki.centos.org/TipsAndTricks/MultimediaOnCentOS

I think everything on that page is 32 bit and I think I have read in
this ML that it is better to use
32 bit for multimedia stuff? Not sure if I remember that correctly

Old 07-22-2008, 07:22 PM
MHR

On Mon, Jul 21, 2008 at 2:24 PM, Alexander Kirillov
<nevis2us@infoline.su> wrote:

> I have no problems with 32-bit flash and 64-bit mplayer plugins in 64-bit
> Firefox.
> Haven't tried adobe acrobat yet.
>
> For flash plugin to work with 64-bit browser you need to install
> both x86_64 and i386 versions of nspluginwrapper with all the dependencies
> and run mozilla-plugin-config -i

I tried that, and all I wound up with was a clutter of -wrapper
directories under /usr/lib/mozilla and /usr/lib64/mozilla.

I installed the 32-bit version and so far, after a little symlink
work, I have both the adobe reader plugin nppdf.so and the flash
plugin working perfectly. Now all I need are the 32-bit mplayer
plugins and I'll be quiet unless/until it starts crashing all the time
again.

Next step is to clean up all the 64-bit trash I now have laying around....

mhr

Old 07-22-2008, 07:28 PM
MHR

> http://wiki.centos.org/TipsAndTricks/MultimediaOnCentOS
>
> I think everything on that page is 32 bit and I think I have read in
> this ML that it is better to use
> 32 bit for multimedia stuff? Not sure if I remember that correctly

Yeah, I was doing that last year, and all was going relatively
smoothly until Seamonkey began to crash at odd (and really bad)
moments, like when I wanted to save a page that was the confirmation
of an order or a bill paid, and it was pretty adamant about doing that
when I least expected it.

I've been using the 64-bit home-build of Seamonkey's pre-alpha working
sources for the 2.0 release rather successfully, with nspluginwrapper
from rpmforge. But when 5.2 came out and it contained Red Hat's
latest rev of the nspluginwrapper, none of the plugins worked. I got
blank space, or worse, nothing at all, where flash videos were
supposed to play, and blank pages for pdfs, and so on. Red Hat did
something to nspw that just plain broke it, and as far as I can see,
there is no documentation on the new revision as to how it's supposed
to fit in or work under the new update.

(sigh)

This is mostly rehash for those who have been around this list for a while.

So far, the 32-bit version of SM works fine.

mhr

Old 07-23-2008, 09:17 PM
"Lanny Marcus"

On Tue, Jul 22, 2008 at 2:28 PM, MHR <mhullrich@gmail.com> wrote:

>> http://wiki.centos.org/TipsAndTricks/MultimediaOnCentOS
>>
>> I think everything on that page is 32 bit and I think I have read in
>> this ML that it is better to use
>> 32 bit for multimedia stuff? Not sure if I remember that correctly
>
> Yeah, I was doing that last year, and all was going relatively
> smoothly until Seamonkey began to crash at odd (and really bad)
> moments, like when I wanted to save a page that was the confirmation
> of an order or a bill paid, and it was pretty adamant about doing that
> when I least expected it.

I can readily understand that. I just looked at a page I saved from
irs.gov on 30 June which is perfect, but I am using Firefox 3.0 (32
bit).
Obviously, you have a reason that you prefer SeaMonkey, but this seems
to work very well, with 32 bit Firefox. Possibly use 32 bit Firefox,
when you are paying bills or placing an online order or dealing with
the IRS?

Old 07-23-2008, 09:41 PM
MHR

> Possibly use 32 bit Firefox,
> when you are paying bills or placing an online order or dealing with
> the IRS?

Isn't that what the Anonymizer is for?

;^)

mhr