Old 07-21-2008, 01:59 PM
"Sean Carolan"

Default Swatch monitor for inactivity?

I would like to use swatch to tail a log file for "PageTurnEvent", and
if this is not seen in the past 15 minutes then a restart script
should be run.

Does anyone know if this is possible with the swatch program?

Old 07-21-2008, 04:48 PM
Bill Campbell

On Mon, Jul 21, 2008, Sean Carolan wrote:
>I would like to use swatch to tail a log file for "PageTurnEvent", and
>if this is not seen in the past 15 minutes then a restart script
>should be run.
>
>Does anyone know if this is possible with the swatch program?

I don't see how as swatch is looking for things that happen, not
those that don't.

We have all the systems we monitor check in using an xml-rpc call
to a central server every fifteen minutes, and that server has a
cron job that checks every fifteen minutes for systems that have
not checked in within the last 20 minutes.

Bill
Voice: (206) 236-1676 Mercer Island, WA 98040-0820
Fax: (206) 232-9186

Our Foreign dealings are an Open Book, generally a Check Book.
Will Rogers

Old 07-21-2008, 04:54 PM
"Sean Carolan"

>>Does anyone know if this is possible with the swatch program?
>
> I don't see how as swatch is looking for things that happen, not
> those that don't.

I figured as much. Before I go and write my own, are there any
general purpose utilities that can simply monitor a log file for
inactivity? In other words once logs stop being written I would like
my monitoring script to let me know about it or perform some action.

Old 07-22-2008, 11:15 AM
D Steward

> I figured as much. Before I go and write my own, are there any
> general purpose utilities that can simply monitor a log file for
> inactivity? In other words once logs stop being written I would like
> my monitoring script to let me know about it or perform some action.

What about monit?
http://www.tildeslash.com/monit/