Old 07-19-2008, 04:38 PM
"Joseph L. Casale"

Default Personal Wiki for CentOS

For ages I have been keeping docs and notes in Public Folders inside an Exchange server
and want to move this out to a more modern facility that allows tagging and searching via
a web interface for keywords so I can keep all my notes more organized.

Anyone have any personal recos for the slickest system to do this with. Given the nature of
my home setup, its routinely used to lab stuff up so I would want something that can be easily
migrated to a new install if need be.

Thanks!
jlc

Old 07-19-2008, 04:59 PM

On Sat, 19 Jul 2008 10:38:02 -0600
"Joseph L. Casale" <JCasale@activenetwerx.com> wrote:

> For ages I have been keeping docs and notes in Public Folders
> inside an Exchange server and want to move this out to a more
> modern facility that allows tagging and searching via a web
> interface for keywords so I can keep all my notes more organized.
>
> Anyone have any personal recos for the slickest system to do this
> with. Given the nature of my home setup, its routinely used to lab
> stuff up so I would want something that can be easily migrated to a
> new install if need be.

http://www.TiddlyWiki.com

1 html file that can be placed on a USB stick that can be carried
everywhere.

--
Thanks
http://www.911networks.com

Old 07-19-2008, 05:01 PM
Craig White

On Sat, 2008-07-19 at 10:38 -0600, Joseph L. Casale wrote:
> For ages I have been keeping docs and notes in Public Folders inside an Exchange server
> and want to move this out to a more modern facility that allows tagging and searching via
> a web interface for keywords so I can keep all my notes more organized.
>
> Anyone have any personal recos for the slickest system to do this with. Given the nature of
> my home setup, its routinely used to lab stuff up so I would want something that can be easily
> migrated to a new install if need be.
----
complete overkill for a single user but Alfresco

Craig

Old 07-19-2008, 05:03 PM
"Carlos Daniel Ruvalcaba Valenzuela"

Well, a wiki could be what you want, there are many to pick from, you
may want to go with MediaWiki which is what wikipedia uses, however I
do feel that it is an overkill for what you want, probably a smaller
wiki such as moinmoin or dokuwiki, both have file based storage which
should be easy to backup and move if you don't want to use a database
such mysql for it.

In any case I can suggest you to compare between wikis, I recall
www.wikimatrix.org has comparisons of many wiki engines.

Regards,
Carlos Daniel Ruvalcaba Valenzuela

On Sat, Jul 19, 2008 at 9:38 AM, Joseph L. Casale

Old 07-19-2008, 05:22 PM
Rainer Duffner

For ages I have been keeping docs and notes in Public Folders
inside an Exchange server
and want to move this out to a more modern facility that allows
tagging and searching via
a web interface for keywords so I can keep all my notes more
organized.

Anyone have any personal recos for the slickest system to do this
with. Given the nature of
my home setup, its routinely used to lab stuff up so I would want
something that can be easily

migrated to a new install if need be.

----
complete overkill for a single user but Alfresco

Indeed.
Using Alfreso for a "Wiki" is like using an A-bomb to start a fire ;-)

But if you want to berserk, why not use Documentum right from the start?
:-)

This subject interest me, too.
I found that the - surprise, surprise - wikipedia site offers a rough
list:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_wiki_software
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_wiki_software

cheers,
Rainer

Old 07-19-2008, 05:44 PM
dnk

dokuwiki works pretty good. All flat files - easy to migrate to a new
server. For an individual, works well.

<quote>
DokuWiki is a standards-compliant, simple-to-use wiki which allows
users to create rich documentation repositories. It provides an
environment for individuals, teams and companies to create and
collaborate using a simple yet powerful syntax that ensures data files
remain structured and readable outside the wiki.

</quote>

http://wiki.splitbrain.org/wiki:dokuwiki

Dustin

Old 07-19-2008, 06:24 PM
Dan Halbert

dnk wrote:
dokuwiki works pretty good. All flat files - easy to migrate to a new
server. For an individual, works well.
Second on dokuwiki. The markup language is simpler and more logical than
most, and it's very easy to do monospaced command-line examples and the
like (just indent a couple of space).

Dan

Old 07-19-2008, 06:50 PM
John R Pierce

Dan Halbert wrote:

dnk wrote:
dokuwiki works pretty good. All flat files - easy to migrate to a new
server. For an individual, works well.
Second on dokuwiki. The markup language is simpler and more logical
than most, and it's very easy to do monospaced command-line examples
and the like (just indent a couple of space).

thirds on what he said. the only downside is that the default theme
is a bit crusty looking.

Old 07-19-2008, 07:31 PM
Kai Schaetzl

And it's got a lot of helpful plugins.

Kai

--
Kai Schätzl, Berlin, Germany

Old 07-21-2008, 07:33 PM
Bowie Bailey

Joseph L. Casale wrote:
> For ages I have been keeping docs and notes in Public Folders inside
> an Exchange server
> and want to move this out to a more modern facility that allows
> tagging and searching via
> a web interface for keywords so I can keep all my notes more
> organized.
>
> Anyone have any personal recos for the slickest system to do this
> with. Given the nature of my home setup, its routinely used to lab
> stuff up so I would want something that can be easily migrated to a
> new install if need be.

I use MoinMoin.

http://moinmoin.wikiwikiweb.de/

--