Old 07-19-2008, 09:55 AM
Johnny Hughes

Default Cannot boot from DVD on an Intel Svr to install CentOS 5.2

saltorres@lvcoxmail.com wrote:

Hi, I'm new to CentOS and I want to install CentOS 5.2 on an intel computer to use it as a server.
I downloaded the CentOS 5.2 DVD iso i386 and did the md5sum, burned the DVD and everything was Ok but when I try to boot the server with the DVD, it simply does nto boot, like if nothing were in the DVD drive. I tried with a Vista DVD and it boots. It can even boot from the LiveCD.
Have anybody seen this behavior and how to solve it?
I'm using Free Create/Burn ISO from NBXSOFT and I believe this is not the problem because with this software I created the LiveCD.
I'm working on a Vista Ultimate computer to download, checksum and burn the DVD.

Does the DVD boot on your Vista machine. You can power off the machine
any time before you pick to format the drives without changing anything.

Old 07-19-2008, 12:04 PM
William Warren

checkout the bugtracker..this is a long running issue. The issue stems
from newer servers/computers using sata optical drives.

saltorres@lvcoxmail.com wrote:

Hi, I'm new to CentOS and I want to install CentOS 5.2 on an intel computer to use it as a server.
I downloaded the CentOS 5.2 DVD iso i386 and did the md5sum, burned the DVD and everything was Ok but when I try to boot the server with the DVD, it simply does nto boot, like if nothing were in the DVD drive. I tried with a Vista DVD and it boots. It can even boot from the LiveCD.
Have anybody seen this behavior and how to solve it?
I'm using Free Create/Burn ISO from NBXSOFT and I believe this is not the problem because with this software I created the LiveCD.
I'm working on a Vista Ultimate computer to download, checksum and burn the DVD.

Thanks

Registered Microsoft Partner

My "Foundation" verse:
Isa 54:17

Old 07-20-2008, 05:50 PM
Kai Schaetzl

William Warren wrote on Sat, 19 Jul 2008 19:40:25 -0400:

> however booting from the cd's of 5.x works fine.

Which supports someone's suggestion in that bug report that it thinks the
DVD is a CDROM ...

Kai

--
Kai Schätzl, Berlin, Germany

Old 07-20-2008, 05:50 PM
Kai Schaetzl

William Warren wrote on Sat, 19 Jul 2008 08:04:43 -0400:

> checkout the bugtracker..this is a long running issue. The issue stems
> from newer servers/computers using sata optical drives.

Looks like you mean:
http://bugs.centos.org/view.php?id=2622

I think I have the same issue. I want to boot in the rescue mode on a Dell
R200. The DVD drive is connected via SATA. It boots fine, but then when I
tell it about the local CDROM installation it prompts me with "unable to
find any devices of the type needed for this installation type" and asks
to select a driver. I tried all sata_ drivers from the list, but none
seems to work.
I'm now going to give it a network path, but, nevertheless, shouldn't the
DVD boot to rescue work just fine? It can boot from the DVD, but then
cannot access the OS data? Weird.

Kai

--
Kai Schätzl, Berlin, Germany

Old 07-29-2008, 04:22 AM

Finally after days of trial an error I got the origin of the problem and how to solve it.
I'm working from a Vista computer, so what I say here is related to this environment.
1. You have to download images (iso files) using FireFox web browser. Internet Explorer does not download them complete.
2. After downloading the image, download md5sum and checksum the file to be sure it was downloaded correctly. To do that, you have to open a command prompt in the folder where you downloaded the files and run the following command: md5sum centos-5.2-i386-bin-DVD.iso to generate the checksum number which you must compare to the one in the md5sum.txt that is found on the same site where you downloaded the files from.
3. Burn the DVD in a low speed (8x).

The above 3 steps must do the trick.

I hope it helps to some others new to CentOS.

Old 07-29-2008, 11:46 AM
Johnny Hughes

http://www.centos.org/docs/5/html/CD_burning_howto.html