Old 07-18-2008, 08:20 PM

Default 2 questions on diskless client setup.

Using Centos 5.2 upgraded from 5.0 using yum on a couple of old Dells in a lab
environment. I don't think hardware is part of the problem, just need
configuration help.

1: I can boot the diskless client and it come up, but when I do a "mount"
command on the client, the output is indistinguishable from the output of the
mount command on the server. Currently the fstab in .../root
and .../snapshot/<diskless client name> have no entries in them. I set this
up using the "how-to" from the Centos web site, I might be missing something.
I was wondering if someone could point me to information on how NFS mounts
and fstab files work as well as how the "root" and "snapshot" directories
work. I'm guessing that snapshot is where you set up the unique personality
of each client, while "root" is global to all clients, but I would like info
on how it all works together. I could continue to guess and try to figure it
out on my own, but my experience has shown that I might get a working
solution that is NOT the best.

2: I am running NFS4. I also set up all the diskless clients in an /export
directory that is shared with several other exported directories (its a lab,
so the devices do double or triple duty). My export file has /exports with
the "fsid=0" flag. So, when I mount, I don't have to have "/exports" in the
directory string. All is fine until the initial mount done by netboot(?), it
issues the first mount command with "/export/diskless/i386/centos5.2/" as the
directory string and fails. To work around this, I put a link in that
links /export to /export/export and exported /export/export. UGLY I know, but
it was the work around I discovered. Anyone know a better way of dealing with
this?