Old 07-18-2008, 11:24 AM
Dr R L Oswald

Default Setting max limits in /etc/security/limits.conf

What we would like to do on a
server running CENTOS 4.6 is to restrict max cpu time for most
interactive users but ensure that processes for system users such as
root & special userids that provide services are kept as unlimited.

The documentation for limits.conf is not very extensive but I think I
am correct in assuming that resource limits specified in limits.conf
only apply to processes that *login* to a system, rather than those
kicked off at boot time as daemons?

There does not seem to be any obvious way of specifying an unlimited
value for a resource unlike the ulimit command ? Does anyone know a way
of specifying unlimited in limits.conf ?

Any suggestions

Old 07-18-2008, 10:18 PM
Scott Silva

on 7-18-2008 4:24 AM Dr R L Oswald spake the following:
What we would like to do on a server running CENTOS 4.6 is to restrict
max cpu time for most interactive users but ensure that processes for
system users such as root & special userids that provide services are
kept as unlimited.

The documentation for limits.conf is not very extensive but I think I am
correct in assuming that resource limits specified in limits.conf only
apply to processes that *login* to a system, rather than those kicked
off at boot time as daemons?

There does not seem to be any obvious way of specifying an unlimited
value for a resource unlike the ulimit command ? Does anyone know a way
of specifying unlimited in limits.conf ?

Any suggestions

Not posting in HTML might get you a larger audience. Some people ignore/can't
read HTML postings on lists. Just a suggestion.

--
MailScanner is like deodorant...
You hope everybody uses it, and