Old 07-17-2008, 09:26 PM
mcclnx mcc

Default Raw device gone after reboot (Centos 5.2)!!!

We are set up CENTOS 5.2 (X86) as our database server.Â* I created raw partitions and also put definition on /etc/sysconfig/rawdevices.

I can use "raw -qa" see raw partitions.Â* The wield things is after reboot /dev/raw is not exist any more.

Â*

Does anyone know how to fix it?

Â*

Thanks.

CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org

Old 07-17-2008, 09:41 PM
"nate"

mcclnx mcc wrote:
> We are set up CENTOS 5.2 (X86) as our database server. I created raw
> partitions and also put definition on /etc/sysconfig/rawdevices.
> I can use "raw -qa" see raw partitions. The wield things is after reboot
> /dev/raw is not exist any more.
> Does anyone know how to fix it?

Are you sure you want to do that? from the raw manpage:

WARNING
Although Linux includes support for rawio, it is now a
deprecated interface. If your application performs device access
using this interface, Red Hat encourages you to modify your
application to open the block device with the O_DIRECT flag.
The rawio interface will exist for the life of Red Hat Enterprise
Linux 4, but is a candidate for removal from future releases.

What database server are you using that your wanting to use raw for?

My only experience with raw devices and databases is with Oracle 10G
and Automatic Storage Management(ASM). In that case Oracle's stuff
handles all of the direct I/O without needing anything to do with
/dev/raw, infact I've explicitly disabled the raw service on all of
my servers because I've never needed it.

nate

Old 07-17-2008, 09:45 PM
Jeff

2008/7/17 mcclnx mcc <mcclnx@yahoo.com.tw>:
> We are set up CENTOS 5.2 (X86) as our database server. I created raw
> partitions and also put definition on /etc/sysconfig/rawdevices.
>
> I can use "raw -qa" see raw partitions. The wield things is after reboot
> /dev/raw is not exist any more.
>

> Does anyone know how to fix it?

Raw partitions are deprecated. I recall from prior posts that you are
using Informix, is that right? Recent versions of Informix implement
the O_DIRECT flag for disk I/O so raw devices are not needed

For our Informix installation, we point the server directly at the
/dev/sd* devices. The one trick is to create a file in
/etc/udev/permissions.d that sets the permissions for the disk devices
at boot.

# cat /etc/udev/permissions.d/40-informix.permissions
sdb5:informix:informix:0660
sdb6:informix:informix:0660
sdb7:informix:informix:0660
#

--
Jeff

Old 07-18-2008, 12:21 PM
mcclnx mcc

Thank you for answer.Â*Â* CENTOS 5.2 does not have "rawdevices" services and also NO "/etc/udev/permissions.d" file any more.

--- 08/7/17 (星期四),Jeff <jlar310@gmail.com> 寫道:

寄件者: Jeff <jlar310@gmail.com>
主旨: Re: [CentOS] Raw device gone after reboot (Centos 5.2)!!!
日期: 2008 7 17 星期四 下午 5:45

Old 07-18-2008, 12:24 PM
mcclnx mcc

Since CENTOS 5 does not have "rawdevices" service any more.Â* Raw device can not automatic mount on boot time.

Â*

Does there has way to work around?

--- 08/7/17 (星期四),nate <centos@linuxpowered.net> 寫道:

寄件者: nate <centos@linuxpowered.net>
主旨: Re: [CentOS] Raw device gone after reboot (Centos 5.2)!!!
收件者: centos@centos.org
日期: 2008 7 17 星期四 下午 5:41

Old 07-18-2008, 02:06 PM
Jeff

2008/7/18 mcclnx mcc <mcclnx@yahoo.com.tw>:
> Thank you for answer. CENTOS 5.2 does not have "rawdevices" services and
> also NO "/etc/udev/permissions.d" file any more.

OK, so I'm still on CentOS 4 which has /etc/udev/permissions.d. CentOS
5 has /etc/udev with different subdirectory structure, but I'm sure
you can configure the device owner/group/mode somewhere with udev.
There's probably a man page on that. If you can't figure that out,
just write a script to set the device permissions before the database
starts.

The point is that you don't need to do anything special to use raw
devices. In fact, your database software may call them raw devices,
but don't try to translate that to the former use of 'raw' in Linux.
Linux no longer requires any special configuration or services for
advanced databases to access unmounted, unformatted partitions.

You talk about 'mounting' raw devices in another post, but mounting is
the opposite of 'raw'. Raw is by definition unmounted. Just point your
database server at /dev/sd* devices. It will do the rest.

Forget about raw devices. They are history. Just think of it as direct
access to unmounted disk partitions.

--
Jeff