Old 07-17-2008, 07:31 PM
Max Hetrick

Default Howto: Java Plugin for Firefox 3.0.1?

James B. Byrne wrote:

Can anyone here give me the magic decoder ring recipe for getting jre
"plugged" into Firefox 3.0.1? The plugins directory is gone and the
Firefox FAQ regarding this issue cryptically mentions that plugin support
has been dropped. It then points one to a early adopter SUN jre1.6-10 page
that has innumerable dependencies which my version of CentOS-5.2 does not
meet.

Firefox 3.0.0 had a plugins directory and it did support the logical link
plugin:

ls -s libjavaplugin_oji.so
/usr/java/default/plugin/i386/ns7/libjavaplugin_oji.so

I have no clue how to get java to work in FF3.0.1 at the moment. Any help
would be appreciated.

Can you drop it into /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/ ? Flash player puts it's
plugin in this directory on my installation, and it appears to still be
working.

Regards,
Max

Old 07-17-2008, 07:35 PM
MHR

On Thu, Jul 17, 2008 at 12:31 PM, Max Hetrick <maxhetrick@verizon.net> wrote:
> James B. Byrne wrote:
>>
>> Can anyone here give me the magic decoder ring recipe for getting jre
>> "plugged" into Firefox 3.0.1? The plugins directory is gone and the
>> Firefox FAQ regarding this issue cryptically mentions that plugin support
>> has been dropped. It then points one to a early adopter SUN jre1.6-10 page
>> that has innumerable dependencies which my version of CentOS-5.2 does not
>> meet.
>>
>> Firefox 3.0.0 had a plugins directory and it did support the logical link
>> plugin:
>>
>> ls -s libjavaplugin_oji.so
>> /usr/java/default/plugin/i386/ns7/libjavaplugin_oji.so

You may also need a symbolic link in your ~/.mozilla/plugins directory
for this to work....

mhr

Old 07-19-2008, 10:42 AM
"ArcosCom Linux User"

I readed about this problem when I upgraded from 5.1 to 5.2.

With ff3.0b and ff3.0 and ff3.0.1, I have to create the "plugins"
directory manually and then make the simbolic link.

That were tested and working fine with jre1.6_01 to jre1.6_07.

With jre1.6_10 (in beta now) appears that the jre has this type of plug-in
and another one too, I think when jre1.6_10 were released the installation
proccess will be more automated (and not manual).

I not tested the jre1.6_10, but I readed that they will divide the package
into a java-kernel package and java-client package (or something as this)
and will have more ff3.0 standar plug-in (not the usual link in "plug-ins"
directory that will be obsoleted).

The last is that I'm not having problems with ff 3.0.1 making the plugins
directory and making the simbolic link.

Regards