Old 07-17-2008, 01:31 PM
Craig White

Default Q about CentOS-4

I have a client with a server on CentOS-4 and I'm looking to upgrade to
latest horde/imp/etc.

clearly php 4.3.9-xx is not up to the task but I see that upgrades for
php & mysql are in CentOS-Plus

I see that CentOS-4 projects to get security updates until 3/2012 which
probably is the usefulness of the hardware itself.

So my questions...

- Will CentOS-Plus maintain the php/mysql packages until then?

- The upgrade to mysql-5...do I have to nuke the db and reload from
backup or is there a possibility that the upgrade and subsequent restart
of mysql will update the database stuff itself (of course I'm gonna do a
complete dump of mysql data before attempting)?

Craig

Old 07-17-2008, 01:56 PM
Johnny Hughes

Craig White wrote:

I have a client with a server on CentOS-4 and I'm looking to upgrade to
latest horde/imp/etc.

clearly php 4.3.9-xx is not up to the task but I see that upgrades for
php & mysql are in CentOS-Plus

I see that CentOS-4 projects to get security updates until 3/2012 which
probably is the usefulness of the hardware itself.

So my questions...

- Will CentOS-Plus maintain the php/mysql packages until then?

Yes ... the RHWAS will be supported until then and we will use whatever
is in there in plus (except that mysql is a bit newer ... whatever is
the latest mysql enterprise release).

- The upgrade to mysql-5...do I have to nuke the db and reload from
backup or is there a possibility that the upgrade and subsequent restart
of mysql will update the database stuff itself (of course I'm gonna do a
complete dump of mysql data before attempting)?

There is a section to upgrade and it mostly works OK:

http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.0/en/upgrading-from-4-1.html

Old 07-17-2008, 02:16 PM
Craig White

On Thu, 2008-07-17 at 08:56 -0500, Johnny Hughes wrote:
> Craig White wrote:
> > I have a client with a server on CentOS-4 and I'm looking to upgrade to
> > latest horde/imp/etc.
> >
> > clearly php 4.3.9-xx is not up to the task but I see that upgrades for
> > php & mysql are in CentOS-Plus
> >
> > I see that CentOS-4 projects to get security updates until 3/2012 which
> > probably is the usefulness of the hardware itself.
> >
> > So my questions...
> >
> > - Will CentOS-Plus maintain the php/mysql packages until then?
> >

> Yes ... the RHWAS will be supported until then and we will use whatever
> is in there in plus (except that mysql is a bit newer ... whatever is
> the latest mysql enterprise release).
>
> > - The upgrade to mysql-5...do I have to nuke the db and reload from
> > backup or is there a possibility that the upgrade and subsequent restart
> > of mysql will update the database stuff itself (of course I'm gonna do a
> > complete dump of mysql data before attempting)?
>
> There is a section to upgrade and it mostly works OK:
>
> http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.0/en/upgrading-from-4-1.html

----
thanks Johnny

I really didn't want to upgrade this server to 5.x

Craig