Old 07-17-2008, 10:26 AM
Johnny Hughes

Default Replacing custom kernel with another - with same identifier

Antti J. Huhtala wrote:

to, 2008-07-17 kello 09:16 +0100, ne.. kirjoitti:

On Thu, Jul 17, 2008 at 08:05, Antti J. Huhtala <ahuhtal4@welho.com> wrote:

What is the safe way to remove the previous installed kernel version
without taking out the uninstalled new version? Is the latter safe in
~/rpmbuild/RPMS if I use 'rpm -e' to remove the former version?

There is no need to remove the old kernel. Use the --replacefiles option to
rpm when installing the new kernel. Then verify that your grub.conf/lilo.conf
has the correct entry.

Well, it wasn't as simple as that. rpm says:"kernel ... is already
installed" and will not go on. The identifiers (file names) are
identical, remember?

Any other ideas?

Antti

rpm -ivh --force <rpm_name>

Old 07-17-2008, 05:17 PM
"Antti J. Huhtala"

to, 2008-07-17 kello 05:26 -0500, Johnny Hughes kirjoitti:
> Antti J. Huhtala wrote:
> > to, 2008-07-17 kello 09:16 +0100, ne.. kirjoitti:
> >> There is no need to remove the old kernel. Use the --replacefiles option to
> >> rpm when installing the new kernel. Then verify that your grub.conf/lilo.conf
> >> has the correct entry.
> >>
> > Well, it wasn't as simple as that. rpm says:"kernel ... is already
> > installed" and will not go on. The identifiers (file names) are
> > identical, remember?
> >
> > Any other ideas?
> >
> > Antti
>
> rpm -ivh --force <rpm_name>

OK, thanks. I decided to try 'rpm -e kernel<version>', 'rpm -e
kernel-devel<version>, and then went to ~/rpmbuild/RPMS/i686 and ran
'rpm -ivh kernel<version>.rpm. All went well.

Antti