Old 07-17-2008, 10:02 AM
Kevin Thorpe

Default Samba permissions problem

Hi all,

****** I have a permissions problem with a samba share which I really
can't fathom out. I'm trying to create a fully group writable share.
Easy or so I thought.

As you can see from my config I am trying all the options to set files
group writable, however when I create a file from the client I'm always
getting the

mode 0644. Does anyone have a clue why?* Thanks!

client:

//database.pricetrak.com/spendtrak***** /home/spendtrak cifs***
username=webserver,password=twonkerlet,uid=apache, file_mode=0660,dir_mode=0770*
0 0

server:

[spendtrak]

******* comment = Spendtrak Files

******* path = /home/spendtrak

******* browseable = no

******* writable = yes

******* printable = no

******* valid users = +spendtrak

******* force group = spendtrak

******* create mode = 0660

******* create mask = 0660

******* force create mode = 0660

******* directory mode = 0770

Old 07-17-2008, 12:07 PM
Ned Slider

Kevin Thorpe wrote:

[...]

Here's how I used to achieve that type of scenario on CentOS 4:

[Staff]
comment = Staff Share
path = /shares/staff
writeable = yes
valid users = +staff
force group = staff
force create mode = 0660
force directory mode = 0770

Old 07-17-2008, 01:08 PM
Kevin Thorpe

Ned Slider wrote:

Kevin Thorpe wrote:

[...]

I know - that's where I started - works fine for directories, but not
for files. I can't fathom it out.

Old 07-17-2008, 01:26 PM
"Brett Serkez"

> On Thu, Jul 17, 2008 at 6:02 AM, Kevin Thorpe <kevin@pricetrak.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
> I have a permissions problem with a samba share which I really can't
> fathom out. I'm trying to create a fully group writable share. Easy or so I
> thought.
> As you can see from my config I am trying all the options to set files group
> writable, however when I create a file from the client I'm always getting
> the
> mode 0644. Does anyone have a clue why? Thanks!
>
> client:
> //database.pricetrak.com/spendtrak /home/spendtrak cifs
> username=webserver,password=twonkerlet,uid=apache, file_mode=0660,dir_mode=0770
> 0 0
>
> server:
> [spendtrak]
> comment = Spendtrak Files
> path = /home/spendtrak
> browseable = no
> writable = yes
> printable = no
> valid users = +spendtrak
> force group = spendtrak
> create mode = 0660
> create mask = 0660
> force create mode = 0660
> directory mode = 0770

I have this working with:

[example]
path = /home/example
writeable = yes
browseable = yes
create mask = 0775
force create mode = 0775
directory mask = 0775
force directory mode = 0775

Brett

Old 07-17-2008, 01:28 PM
Ned Slider

Kevin Thorpe wrote:

Ned Slider wrote:

Kevin Thorpe wrote:

[...]

Did you use "force create mode" as opposed to "create mode" in your
I wonder if it's a *nix file permission thing. Maybe you need to
manually (re)set all file ownerships to spendtrak:spendtrak and take it
from there.

Old 07-17-2008, 01:33 PM
Craig White

On Thu, 2008-07-17 at 09:26 -0400, Brett Serkez wrote:
> > On Thu, Jul 17, 2008 at 6:02 AM, Kevin Thorpe <kevin@pricetrak.com> wrote:
> > Hi all,
> > I have a permissions problem with a samba share which I really can't
> > fathom out. I'm trying to create a fully group writable share. Easy or so I
> > thought.
> > As you can see from my config I am trying all the options to set files group
> > writable, however when I create a file from the client I'm always getting
> > the
> > mode 0644. Does anyone have a clue why? Thanks!
> >
> > client:
> > //database.pricetrak.com/spendtrak /home/spendtrak cifs
> > username=webserver,password=twonkerlet,uid=apache, file_mode=0660,dir_mode=0770
> > 0 0
> >
> > server:
> > [spendtrak]
> > comment = Spendtrak Files
> > path = /home/spendtrak
> > browseable = no
> > writable = yes
> > printable = no
> > valid users = +spendtrak
> > force group = spendtrak
> > create mode = 0660
> > create mask = 0660
> > force create mode = 0660
> > directory mode = 0770
>
> I have this working with:
>
> [example]
> path = /home/example
> writeable = yes
> browseable = yes
> create mask = 0775
> force create mode = 0775
> directory mask = 0775
> force directory mode = 0775
----
indeed and 'force group' is pointless.

chmod g+s /home/spendtrak

gets it done, neatly, cleanly and the recommended method

Craig

Old 07-17-2008, 01:52 PM
Kevin Thorpe

Craig White wrote:

[...]

Still getting 0644 on the files when the parent dir is 0770...... odd

It's wierd that the samba settings work fine for directories, but not
the files.