Old 07-17-2008, 03:04 AM
Donald Buchan

Default Getting printer to work under 5.2

Hi

I have a standard hplip install on my 5.2 box installed from the repos
(it originally was installed from the 5.1 disks and followed any upgrade
that may have occured in the transition to 5.2). My printer is a HP
Deskjet F4180 connecting via USB.

I can't get the printer to work. Documents manually printed from the
file menu in OO.o 2.3 stagnate in a print queue, while the print icon
produces an unspecified error.

The cups daemon is running (it has been stopped and restarted a couple
of times, along with a reboot just to be sure even though I knew it
likely wouldn't affect things.)

The standard hplip was uninstalled, and mannually installed from the HP
website, with all dependencies resolved (rather frustrating to go
through five dependency installs one at a time since the manual install
of hplip only mentions them one at a time. ) This still didn't work.
The manual install was uninstalled and the standard install from the
repos was reinstalled.

The OS does seem to detect the printer, at least when it's on; I have
turned it on, unplugged it, and plugged it back in and on at least one
occasion it was automatically detected.

The printer does work; I used an Ubuntu 8.04 live cd and printed a test
page straight off the bat without any modifications.

Using a Dell P4 2.8 Optiplex (don't quite remember the exact model
number ... gotta reboot for that to see the initial screen. )

Any ideas? (No, I won't install Hardy Heron, even if it is LTS. )

Old 07-17-2008, 09:28 AM
Anne Wilson

On Thursday 17 July 2008 04:04, Donald Buchan wrote:
> I have a standard hplip install on my 5.2 box installed from the repos
> (it originally was installed from the 5.1 disks and followed any upgrade
> that may have occured in the transition to 5.2). *My printer is a HP
> Deskjet F4180 connecting via USB.

Did you run hp-setup (as root, of course)?

Anne

Old 07-17-2008, 11:48 PM
Donald Buchan

Yes on both counts. That's where I was dealing with the parts about the
one-dependancy-mentionned-at-a-time part. No luck, hence the reason for
uninstalling it and reverting to the yum repository.

Old 07-18-2008, 08:13 AM
Anne Wilson

On Friday 18 July 2008 00:48:17 Donald Buchan wrote:
> Yes on both counts. That's where I was dealing with the parts about the
> one-dependancy-mentionned-at-a-time part. No luck, hence the reason for
> uninstalling it and reverting to the yum repository.

Please don't top-post, Donald. It makes it difficult to scan through a
thread.

HP have a system for offering help and advice for any hplip problems. I'm
sorry but I can't remember the address, but I'm sure google will help you to
find it. It's worth doing - they are helpful.

Anne

Old 07-18-2008, 02:10 PM
"John"

On Friday 18 July 2008 00:48:17 Donald Buchan wrote:
> Yes on both counts. That's where I was dealing with the parts about
> the one-dependancy-mentionned-at-a-time part. No luck, hence the
> reason for uninstalling it and reverting to the yum repository.

Please don't top-post, Donald. It makes it difficult to scan through a
thread.

HP have a system for offering help and advice for any hplip problems. I'm
sorry but I can't remember the address, but I'm sure google will help you to
find it. It's worth doing - they are helpful.

Anne
-----------------------------------
That would be http://hp.sourceforge.net/ and
http://sourceforge.net/projects/hpinkjet .
Find your printer in the supported list. Then download the newest driver for
it and follow there How To on it.

JohnStanley

Old 07-18-2008, 02:39 PM
Anne Wilson

On Friday 18 July 2008 15:10:11 John wrote:
> [...]
It was hplip-help@lists.sourceforge.net but then they opened a ticketing
system for problems. I've lost that link, but ISTR that if you send an email
to hplip-help@lists.sourceforge.net you got a reply sending you to the
correct, new area.

Anne

Old 07-19-2008, 03:59 AM
"John"

On Friday 18 July 2008 15:10:11 John wrote:

Hmm was not aware of that, but I have never read there support page either
(never needed it). I can give them a thumbs up on printer and scanner
drivers. However I have just glanced over there How To page and made a list
of supported models they support for my clients.

JohnStanley