Old 07-16-2008, 09:32 PM
Robert Moskowitz

Default Lost my madwifi setup

Oh, I should add that if I use NetworkManager, it scans the SSID, but
fails to connect.

I personally have had a very high failure rate with NetworkManger.

Robert Moskowitz wrote:
I rebuilt my notebook that has the atheros card in it, and forgot to
save all of my setup to get it working.

I am using dkms and the madwifi rpms from rpmforge.

My modprobe.conf has a line:

alias wifi0 ath_pci

I can ifconfig wifi0 up

But the command:

/usr/sbin/wpa_supplicant wpa_supplicant -dd -D madwifi -i wifi0 -c
/etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf

fails.

Now some of my old notes mention using ath0 and a line in
modprobe.conf of:

alias ath0 ath_pci
options ath_pci autocreate=sta

I think there were some iwconfig commands somewhere too. But it is all
gone....... sniff.

I hope someone can help? I am going through this list's archives
trying to find my old messages too.

Old 07-16-2008, 10:18 PM
Robert Moskowitz

Getting closer, see below...

Robert Moskowitz wrote:
I rebuilt my notebook that has the atheros card in it, and forgot to
save all of my setup to get it working.

I am using dkms and the madwifi rpms from rpmforge.

My modprobe.conf has a line:

alias wifi0 ath_pci

I can ifconfig wifi0 up

But the command:

/usr/sbin/wpa_supplicant wpa_supplicant -dd -D madwifi -i wifi0 -c
/etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf

I think I need a:

ifconfig ath0 up

And the wpa_supplicant line should be:

/usr/sbin/wpa_supplicant wpa_supplicant -B -dd -K -D madwifi -i ath0 -c
/etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf

But this is still not working. I think there is something I need to do
with wlanconfig?

Old 07-17-2008, 04:33 AM
Kurt Hansen

Robert Moskowitz wrote:

Getting closer, see below...

Robert Moskowitz wrote:
I rebuilt my notebook that has the atheros card in it, and forgot to
save all of my setup to get it working.

I am using dkms and the madwifi rpms from rpmforge.

My modprobe.conf has a line:

alias wifi0 ath_pci

I can ifconfig wifi0 up

But the command:

/usr/sbin/wpa_supplicant wpa_supplicant -dd -D madwifi -i wifi0 -c
/etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf

I think I need a:

ifconfig ath0 up

And the wpa_supplicant line should be:

/usr/sbin/wpa_supplicant wpa_supplicant -B -dd -K -D madwifi -i ath0
-c /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf

But this is still not working. I think there is something I need to do
with wlanconfig?

I used the directions on this page a couple of days ago:

http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/Laptops/Wireless

Once I did, I had the wireless working on atheros with wpa2 personal.

Take care,

Kurt Hansen

Old 07-17-2008, 04:47 AM
Robert Moskowitz

Kurt Hansen wrote:

Robert Moskowitz wrote:

Getting closer, see below...

Robert Moskowitz wrote:
[...]

NetworkDirector just does not seem to work for me, or at least on the
networks I am on. It might have to do in this case that there are over a
dozen APs scanable with the SSID of IEEE.

I have just NOT had success with NetworkDirector. I have read posts here
that others have had similar problems. And over on the Gnome Network
Manager list, there are lots of problems noted with the version we have
for Centos, so we have to live with our short-comings.

I made some progress but still do not have it all back together again.