Old 07-16-2008, 04:21 PM
Bowie Bailey

Default yum remove -- wants to remove a to n of stuff

Johnny Hughes wrote:

> You are trying to remove kernel-utils ...you don't want to do that.
> That might cut back the deps a bit. Also, i never remove packages with
> yum, but with:
>
> rpm -e `cat list`
>
> But, that is just my advise.

I didn't think there was any functional difference between:

rpm -e package-name

and

yum remove package-name

Isn't yum just a front-end for the rpm system?

--
Bowie

Old 07-16-2008, 04:42 PM
Joshua Baker-LePain

On Wed, 16 Jul 2008 at 12:21pm, Bowie Bailey wrote

I didn't think there was any functional difference between:

rpm -e package-name

and

yum remove package-name

Isn't yum just a front-end for the rpm system?

yum also does dependency checking/resolution.

--
Joshua Baker-LePain
QB3 Shared Cluster Sysadmin

Old 07-16-2008, 04:44 PM
Johnny Hughes

Bowie Bailey wrote:

Johnny Hughes wrote:
You are trying to remove kernel-utils ...you don't want to do that.
That might cut back the deps a bit. Also, i never remove packages with
yum, but with:

rpm -e `cat list`

But, that is just my advise.

I didn't think there was any functional difference between:

rpm -e package-name

and

yum remove package-name

Isn't yum just a front-end for the rpm system?

There is a huge difference.

rpm -e will tell you that you package foo (that you want to install) is
required by package bar, so don't install it.

Yum will resolve all the dependancies and try to remove foo and bar and
anything else that is required to be removed if bar is removed, etc.

If you are not careful, you can get things like glibc removed with "yum
remove".

I normally want to resolve my own deps if I remove something. I once
DID remove glibc from a machine with "yum remove" ... and that is NOT
pretty to recover from

Old 07-16-2008, 06:22 PM
Bowie Bailey

Johnny Hughes wrote:
> Bowie Bailey wrote:
> > Johnny Hughes wrote:
> >> You are trying to remove kernel-utils ...you don't want to do that.
> >> That might cut back the deps a bit. Also, i never remove packages with

> >> yum, but with:
> >>
> >> rpm -e `cat list`
> >>
> >> But, that is just my advise.
> >
> > I didn't think there was any functional difference between:
> >
> > rpm -e package-name
> >
> > and
> >
> > yum remove package-name
> >
> > Isn't yum just a front-end for the rpm system?
> >
> There is a huge difference.
>
> rpm -e will tell you that you package foo (that you want to install) is
> required by package bar, so don't install it.
>
> Yum will resolve all the dependancies and try to remove foo and bar and
> anything else that is required to be removed if bar is removed, etc.
>
> If you are not careful, you can get things like glibc removed with "yum
> remove".
>
> I normally want to resolve my own deps if I remove something. I once
> DID remove glibc from a machine with "yum remove" ... and that is NOT
> pretty to recover from

That makes sense. I am always very careful about reviewing the
dependency list when using yum for installing or removing packages, but
I can see how you might accidentally remove something you didn't intend
to.

--
Bowie