Old 07-16-2008, 10:06 AM
David Hrbáč

Default pear

Hi,
is it safe to install additional modules to pear with "pear install"? I
need php-pear-MDB2 which is in CentosPlus but does not contain
php-pear-MDB2_Driver_xxx. So I did:

yum install php-pear-MDB2
pear upgrade MDB2
pear install MDB2#mysql
Thanks,
David

Old 07-16-2008, 03:40 PM
Scott Silva

on 7-16-2008 3:06 AM � spake the following:

Hi,
is it safe to install additional modules to pear with "pear install"? I
need php-pear-MDB2 which is in CentosPlus but does not contain
php-pear-MDB2_Driver_xxx. So I did:

yum install php-pear-MDB2
pear upgrade MDB2
pear install MDB2#mysql
Thanks,
David

Isn't a little late to ask if something is safe AFTER you do it?
;-P

--
MailScanner is like deodorant...
You hope everybody uses it, and

Old 07-16-2008, 03:57 PM
David Hrbáč

Scott Silva napsal(a):

Isn't a little late to ask if something is safe AFTER you do it?
;-P

On testing virtual? ;-P As it is not safe to use cpan to install modules
for perl, I was asking if pear is the same or not.

David

Old 07-16-2008, 04:14 PM
Johnny Hughes

David Hrbáč wrote:

Scott Silva napsal(a):

Isn't a little late to ask if something is safe AFTER you do it?
;-P

On testing virtual? ;-P As it is not safe to use cpan to install modules
for perl, I was asking if pear is the same or not.

It is exactly the same and for the same reasons.

If you need something, look in DAG or EPEL or ATRPMS and if it is not
there, I would build it if I were you.

The issues are that when there is a pear or php upgrade, it might
replace your files or configuration ... also any RPMS that might need
that require will probably not see it since it is not in the RPM database.

Old 07-16-2008, 04:23 PM
David Hrbáč

Johnny Hughes napsal(a):

It is exactly the same and for the same reasons.

If you need something, look in DAG or EPEL or ATRPMS and if it is not
there, I would build it if I were you.

I think so, then I do not see the point of providing centosplus
php-pear-MDB2 without having DB driver packages.

David

Old 07-16-2008, 05:03 PM
Johnny Hughes

David Hrbáč wrote:

Johnny Hughes napsal(a):

It is exactly the same and for the same reasons.

If you need something, look in DAG or EPEL or ATRPMS and if it is not
there, I would build it if I were you.

I think so, then I do not see the point of providing centosplus
php-pear-MDB2 without having DB driver packages.

The point is that it's required for some dependency in that repo, and
the other thing you asked about was not required.

We are not trying to replace DAG or EPEL in centosplus or centos-extras
... so the only things that are in there are things that are absolutely
required for repo closure if the repo itself.

In this particular case:

[root@builder4 ~]# repoquery --repoid=centosplus --repoid=extras
--repoid=base --repoid=updates --whatrequires "php-pear(MDB2)"

php-pear-Log-0:1.9.9-1.el4.centos.noarch

Old 07-16-2008, 06:34 PM
David Hrbáč

Johnny Hughes napsal(a):
The point is that it's required for some dependency in that repo, and
the other thing you asked about was not required.

We are not trying to replace DAG or EPEL in centosplus or centos-extras
... so the only things that are in there are things that are absolutely
required for repo closure if the repo itself.

In this particular case:

[root@builder4 ~]# repoquery --repoid=centosplus --repoid=extras
--repoid=base --repoid=updates --whatrequires "php-pear(MDB2)"

php-pear-Log-0:1.9.9-1.el4.centos.noarch

=================
So, we needed php-pear-MDB2 to be able to use php-pear-Log ... and that
is required by 2 other packages in the Plus repo, so that is why its there.

Johnny,
MDB2 is optional dependency for Log and it comes with dependency for DB
driver. MDB2 id database abstraction layer, without drivers it does
nothing and Log is not able to log to database via MDB2. So, there's
really no point of providing only MDB2 package.

David

[root@svestka ~]# pear install Log
WARNING: "pear/DB" is deprecated in favor of "pear/MDB2"
Did not download optional dependencies: pear/DB, pear/MDB2, pear/Mail,
use --alldeps to download automatically

pear/Log can optionally use package "pear/DB" (version >= 1.3)
pear/Log can optionally use package "pear/MDB2" (version >= 2.0.0RC1)
pear/Log can optionally use package "pear/Mail"
pear/Log can optionally use PHP extension "sqlite"
downloading Log-1.11.0.tgz ...
Starting to download Log-1.11.0.tgz (41,538 bytes)
............done: 41,538 bytes
install ok: channel://pear.php.net/Log-1.11.0

Old 07-16-2008, 08:27 PM
Johnny Hughes

David Hrbáč wrote:

Johnny Hughes napsal(a):
[...]

That may be true, however, the way the RPMS are set up, it is showing up
as a require to install the Log rpm to have php-pear-MDB2 installed ...
I did not write the spec file, I just built it.

So, it is there because if I do a repo closure, it has to be there.

If you can't find the other RPMS in other places I can add them ... but
I have to have repoclosure.