Old 07-16-2008, 01:03 AM
MHR

Default OT - Windows slowdown?

I know this isn't the right forum for this (do I ever!), but you-all know so much about everything I thought I'd ask.

About two months ago I resurrected my daughter's Compaq laptop (cracked screen - replaced it) and ran an update on it.* It's running Windows XP, SP1 (I think), but since the update it has run about 1/3 as fast as it used to.

Does anyone know if there was a WXP update that killed performance on laptops?* None of my other XP installs, SP1 or SP2, suffers from this.

(Actually, I should say "their other" 'cuz I don't use Windows unless I can't avoid it, and then I try to do it on my WXP VM where it's still relatively safe.)

Thanks.

mhr

Old 07-16-2008, 02:10 AM
"Victor Padro"

My old IBM T21 suffered almost the same issues, tried to roll back the updates and even tried to install XP SP3 without any good performance change.
I had to reinstall Windows XP...

I believe it's a waste of time trying to troubleshoot performance stuff under a multipatched old install windows if you just can reinstall and get a fresh registry.

saludos.

"Todo el desorden del mundo proviene de las profesiones mal o mediocremente servidas"

Old 07-16-2008, 05:39 AM
Rudi Ahlers

Victor Padro wrote:
My old IBM T21 suffered almost the same issues, tried to roll back the
updates and even tried to install XP SP3 without any good performance
change.

I had to reinstall Windows XP...

I believe it's a waste of time trying to troubleshoot performance
stuff under a multipatched old install windows if you just can
reinstall and get a fresh registry.

saludos.

"Todo el desorden del mundo proviene de las profesiones mal o
mediocremente servidas"

This isn't the right place, but a bit of help is always welcome

Windows XP, as with most other Windows' has the irritating habit of
pilling up junk in the registry, and other places. My first check is
always to check for viruses - update the virus definitions, and scan the
PC thoroughly, do a scan disk & defrag, and then try a registry repair
tool. Other than that, a re installation is your best bet.

Good luck

--

Kind Regards
Rudi Ahlers

Web: http://www.SoftDux.com
Check out my technical blog, http://blog.softdux.com for Linux or other technical stuff, or visit http://www.WebHostingTalk.co.za for Web Hosting stuff

Old 07-16-2008, 07:47 AM
Rainer Duffner

Rudi Ahlers schrieb:

This isn't the right place, but a bit of help is always welcome

Windows XP, as with most other Windows' has the irritating habit of
pilling up junk in the registry, and other places. My first check is
always to check for viruses - update the virus definitions, and scan
the PC thoroughly, do a scan disk & defrag, and then try a registry
repair tool. Other than that, a re installation is your best bet.

Anything that takes longer than 30 minutes is better solved with a
re-install (with Windows).
Too bad that you have to re-install all the shiny applications, too
(which takes ages, usually).
But then, CentOS throws most of its stuff in /usr/bin and /bin, too, so
you can't differentiate between "OS" and applications, either.

I'd rather have a "base" install and a separate directory with "all the
rest". And of course, two different RPM-dbs, too.

cu,
Rainer

Old 07-16-2008, 08:10 AM
Anne Wilson

On Wednesday 16 July 2008 02:03:26 MHR wrote:
> I know this isn't the right forum for this (do I ever!), but you-all know
> so much about everything I thought I'd ask.
>
> About two months ago I resurrected my daughter's Compaq laptop (cracked
> screen - replaced it) and ran an update on it. It's running Windows XP,
> SP1 (I think), but since the update it has run about 1/3 as fast as it used
> to.
>
> Does anyone know if there was a WXP update that killed performance on
> laptops? None of my other XP installs, SP1 or SP2, suffers from this.
>
> (Actually, I should say "their other" 'cuz I don't use Windows unless I
> can't avoid it, and then I try to do it on my WXP VM where it's still
> relatively safe.)

Applying SP3 to my daughter's laptop has killed performance to the point of
being almost unusable. Restore Points seem to be lost, so I can't go back to
before it.

Anne

Old 07-16-2008, 08:23 AM
John R Pierce

Anne Wilson wrote:
Applying SP3 to my daughter's laptop has killed performance to the point of
being almost unusable. Restore Points seem to be lost, so I can't go back to
before it.

I've installed SP3 on dozens of systems and seen no slowdowns.

this is WAY off topic for this list.

Old 07-16-2008, 01:34 PM
"John"

On Wednesday 16 July 2008 02:03:26 MHR wrote:
> I know this isn't the right forum for this (do I ever!), but you-all
> know so much about everything I thought I'd ask.
>
> About two months ago I resurrected my daughter's Compaq laptop
> (cracked screen - replaced it) and ran an update on it. It's running
> Windows XP,
> SP1 (I think), but since the update it has run about 1/3 as fast as it
> used to.
>
> Does anyone know if there was a WXP update that killed performance on
> laptops? None of my other XP installs, SP1 or SP2, suffers from this.
>
> (Actually, I should say "their other" 'cuz I don't use Windows unless
> I can't avoid it, and then I try to do it on my WXP VM where it's
> still relatively safe.)

Applying SP3 to my daughter's laptop has killed performance to the point of
being almost unusable. Restore Points seem to be lost, so I can't go back
to before it.

Anne
--------
Depending on how SP3 was installed you can Uninstall it. From Add Remove
Programs.

JohnStanley

Old 07-16-2008, 02:58 PM
"Robert - elists"

> Applying SP3 to my daughter's laptop has killed performance to the point
> of
> being almost unusable. Restore Points seem to be lost, so I can't go back
> before it.
>
> Anne

Anne

Sp3 doesn't kill performance if applied to a fresh install before any
"other" updates or apps are applied / installed

Installing sp3 on top of sp2 "just because" is realistically not a good
thing...

- rh

Old 07-16-2008, 03:19 PM
"Dennis McLeod"

I've installed it on a half dozen machines here as part of a test. No issues
that I can see.
All are XP Pro with SP2 and some IE6, some IE7. All upgraded to IE7 after,
if they were IE6.
I DID take images (Clonezilla!) of those machines before I installed........
Just a habit I got into years ago. (Taking images before major changes, not
Clonezilla. I used to use Imagecast...)

Dennis

Old 07-16-2008, 03:21 PM
Milton Calnek