-   -   OT - Windows slowdown? (http://www.linux-archive.org/centos/125579-ot-windows-slowdown.html)

MHR 07-16-2008 01:03 AM

OT - Windows slowdown?

I know this isn't the right forum for this (do I ever!), but you-all know so much about everything I thought I'd ask.

About two months ago I resurrected my daughter's Compaq laptop (cracked screen - replaced it) and ran an update on it.* It's running Windows XP, SP1 (I think), but since the update it has run about 1/3 as fast as it used to.

Does anyone know if there was a WXP update that killed performance on laptops?* None of my other XP installs, SP1 or SP2, suffers from this.

(Actually, I should say "their other" 'cuz I don't use Windows unless I can't avoid it, and then I try to do it on my WXP VM where it's still relatively safe.)

Thanks.

mhr

"Victor Padro" 07-16-2008 02:10 AM

OT - Windows slowdown?

My old IBM T21 suffered almost the same issues, tried to roll back the updates and even tried to install XP SP3 without any good performance change.
I had to reinstall Windows XP...

I believe it's a waste of time trying to troubleshoot performance stuff under a multipatched old install windows if you just can reinstall and get a fresh registry.

saludos.

"Todo el desorden del mundo proviene de las profesiones mal o mediocremente servidas"

Rudi Ahlers 07-16-2008 05:39 AM

OT - Windows slowdown?

Victor Padro wrote:
My old IBM T21 suffered almost the same issues, tried to roll back the
updates and even tried to install XP SP3 without any good performance
change.

I had to reinstall Windows XP...

I believe it's a waste of time trying to troubleshoot performance
stuff under a multipatched old install windows if you just can
reinstall and get a fresh registry.

saludos.

"Todo el desorden del mundo proviene de las profesiones mal o
mediocremente servidas"

This isn't the right place, but a bit of help is always welcome :)

Windows XP, as with most other Windows' has the irritating habit of
pilling up junk in the registry, and other places. My first check is
always to check for viruses - update the virus definitions, and scan the
PC thoroughly, do a scan disk & defrag, and then try a registry repair
tool. Other than that, a re installation is your best bet.

Good luck

--

Kind Regards
Rudi Ahlers

Web: http://www.SoftDux.com
Check out my technical blog, http://blog.softdux.com for Linux or other technical stuff, or visit http://www.WebHostingTalk.co.za for Web Hosting stuff

Rainer Duffner 07-16-2008 07:47 AM

OT - Windows slowdown?

Rudi Ahlers schrieb:

This isn't the right place, but a bit of help is always welcome :)

Windows XP, as with most other Windows' has the irritating habit of
pilling up junk in the registry, and other places. My first check is
always to check for viruses - update the virus definitions, and scan
the PC thoroughly, do a scan disk & defrag, and then try a registry
repair tool. Other than that, a re installation is your best bet.

Anything that takes longer than 30 minutes is better solved with a
re-install (with Windows).
Too bad that you have to re-install all the shiny applications, too
(which takes ages, usually).
But then, CentOS throws most of its stuff in /usr/bin and /bin, too, so
you can't differentiate between "OS" and applications, either.

I'd rather have a "base" install and a separate directory with "all the
rest". And of course, two different RPM-dbs, too.

cu,
Rainer

Anne Wilson 07-16-2008 08:10 AM

OT - Windows slowdown?

On Wednesday 16 July 2008 02:03:26 MHR wrote:
> I know this isn't the right forum for this (do I ever!), but you-all know
> so much about everything I thought I'd ask.
>
> About two months ago I resurrected my daughter's Compaq laptop (cracked
> screen - replaced it) and ran an update on it. It's running Windows XP,
> SP1 (I think), but since the update it has run about 1/3 as fast as it used
> to.
>
> Does anyone know if there was a WXP update that killed performance on
> laptops? None of my other XP installs, SP1 or SP2, suffers from this.
>
> (Actually, I should say "their other" 'cuz I don't use Windows unless I
> can't avoid it, and then I try to do it on my WXP VM where it's still
> relatively safe.)

Applying SP3 to my daughter's laptop has killed performance to the point of
being almost unusable. Restore Points seem to be lost, so I can't go back to
before it.

Anne

John R Pierce 07-16-2008 08:23 AM

OT - Windows slowdown?

Anne Wilson wrote:
Applying SP3 to my daughter's laptop has killed performance to the point of
being almost unusable. Restore Points seem to be lost, so I can't go back to
before it.

I've installed SP3 on dozens of systems and seen no slowdowns.

this is WAY off topic for this list.

"John" 07-16-2008 01:34 PM

OT - Windows slowdown?

On Wednesday 16 July 2008 02:03:26 MHR wrote:
> I know this isn't the right forum for this (do I ever!), but you-all
> know so much about everything I thought I'd ask.
>
> About two months ago I resurrected my daughter's Compaq laptop
> (cracked screen - replaced it) and ran an update on it. It's running
> Windows XP,
> SP1 (I think), but since the update it has run about 1/3 as fast as it
> used to.
>
> Does anyone know if there was a WXP update that killed performance on
> laptops? None of my other XP installs, SP1 or SP2, suffers from this.
>
> (Actually, I should say "their other" 'cuz I don't use Windows unless
> I can't avoid it, and then I try to do it on my WXP VM where it's
> still relatively safe.)

Applying SP3 to my daughter's laptop has killed performance to the point of
being almost unusable. Restore Points seem to be lost, so I can't go back
to before it.

Anne
--------
Depending on how SP3 was installed you can Uninstall it. From Add Remove
Programs.

JohnStanley

"Robert - elists" 07-16-2008 02:58 PM

OT - Windows slowdown?

> Applying SP3 to my daughter's laptop has killed performance to the point
> of
> being almost unusable. Restore Points seem to be lost, so I can't go back
> before it.
>
> Anne

Anne

Sp3 doesn't kill performance if applied to a fresh install before any
"other" updates or apps are applied / installed

Installing sp3 on top of sp2 "just because" is realistically not a good
thing...

- rh

"Dennis McLeod" 07-16-2008 03:19 PM

OT - Windows slowdown?

I've installed it on a half dozen machines here as part of a test. No issues
that I can see.
All are XP Pro with SP2 and some IE6, some IE7. All upgraded to IE7 after,
if they were IE6.
I DID take images (Clonezilla!) of those machines before I installed........
Just a habit I got into years ago. (Taking images before major changes, not
Clonezilla. I used to use Imagecast...)

Dennis

Milton Calnek 07-16-2008 03:21 PM

OT - Windows slowdown?