Old 07-15-2008, 11:52 PM
Robert Moskowitz

Default RADVD and default IPv6 gateway

Scott Silva wrote:

on 7-15-2008 4:08 PM Robert Moskowitz spake the following:

the man page for RADVD says:

radvd is the router advertisement daemon for IPv6. It listens
to router
solicitations and sends router advertisements as described in
"Neighbor
Discovery for IP Version 6 (IPv6)" (RFC 2461). With these
advertise-
ments hosts can automatically configure their addresses and
some other
parameters. They also can choose a default router based on
these adver-

tisements.

But there is nothing I see in man radvd.conf that answers how hosts
choose a default router, nor can I find anything else about this.

Anyone know the answer or where to get the information???
I do believe that radvd runs only on the default router, so everyone
else just waits for the advertising messages.

I found this;
http://fermiparadox.wordpress.com/2007/02/18/using-radvd/

Thanks for this URL. But it does not contribute anything on routing.

On further reading of man radvd.conf I find:

interface name {
list of interface specific options
list of prefix definitions
list of route definitions
};

Route definitions are of the form:

route prefix/length {
list of route specific options
};

But there are no examples of 'list of route definitions.

I am guessing that if I want a global default route through the radvd
box using the defaults for the options I add the line:

route ::/0;

to the interfaces.

Here goes....

Old 07-16-2008, 12:00 AM

[...]