Old 07-15-2008, 11:08 PM
Robert Moskowitz

Default RADVD and default IPv6 gateway

the man page for RADVD says:

radvd is the router advertisement daemon for IPv6. It listens to
router
solicitations and sends router advertisements as described in
"Neighbor
Discovery for IP Version 6 (IPv6)" (RFC 2461). With these
advertise-
ments hosts can automatically configure their addresses and some
other
parameters. They also can choose a default router based on these
adver-

tisements.

But there is nothing I see in man radvd.conf that answers how hosts
choose a default router, nor can I find anything else about this.

Anyone know the answer or where to get the information???

Old 07-15-2008, 11:26 PM
Scott Silva

on 7-15-2008 4:08 PM Robert Moskowitz spake the following:

the man page for RADVD says:

radvd is the router advertisement daemon for IPv6. It listens to
router
solicitations and sends router advertisements as described in
"Neighbor
Discovery for IP Version 6 (IPv6)" (RFC 2461). With these
advertise-
ments hosts can automatically configure their addresses and some
other
parameters. They also can choose a default router based on these
adver-

tisements.

But there is nothing I see in man radvd.conf that answers how hosts
choose a default router, nor can I find anything else about this.

Anyone know the answer or where to get the information???
I do believe that radvd runs only on the default router, so everyone else just
waits for the advertising messages.

I found this;
http://fermiparadox.wordpress.com/2007/02/18/using-radvd/

--