Old 07-15-2008, 07:47 PM
Chris Geldenhuis

Default SERIOUSLY OT STREAM EDITING IMAGES

Hi All,

I have been Googling my head off but cannot find a method to stream edit
all the images in a directory and to resize them. I have a large number
of images of up to 3GB in size that I want to put in albums on a
website, but before I do this I need to resize them to a more realistic
configuration.

I know how to do this manually with the GIMP but it becomes tedious for
more than a few images.

Running CentOS 5 as virtualised under XEN as a web server.

TIA

ChrisG

Old 07-15-2008, 07:54 PM
Rainer Duffner

I have been Googling my head off but cannot find a method to stream
edit all the images in a directory and to resize them. I have a
large number of images of up to 3GB in size that I want to put in
albums on a website, but before I do this I need to resize them to a
more realistic configuration.

I know how to do this manually with the GIMP but it becomes tedious
for more than a few images.

Running CentOS 5 as virtualised under XEN as a web server.

Install ImageMagick and learn about the programs associated with it
(convert(1), mogrify(1) etc).

cheers,
Rainer

Old 07-15-2008, 07:54 PM
"Stephen John Smoogen"

On Tue, Jul 15, 2008 at 1:47 PM, Chris Geldenhuis
<chris.gelden@iafrica.com> wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I have been Googling my head off but cannot find a method to stream edit all
> the images in a directory and to resize them. I have a large number of
> images of up to 3GB in size that I want to put in albums on a website, but
> before I do this I need to resize them to a more realistic configuration.
>
> I know how to do this manually with the GIMP but it becomes tedious for more
> than a few images.

imagemagick is what you want.

http://www.imagemagick.org/Usage/resize/

for i in *.. blah.

> Running CentOS 5 as virtualised under XEN as a web server.
>
> TIA
>
> ChrisG

Stephen J Smoogen. -- BSD/GNU/Linux

Old 07-15-2008, 07:57 PM
John R Pierce

Chris Geldenhuis wrote:

Hi All,

I have been Googling my head off but cannot find a method to stream
edit all the images in a directory and to resize them. I have a large
number of images of up to 3GB in size that I want to put in albums on
a website, but before I do this I need to resize them to a more
realistic configuration.

I know how to do this manually with the GIMP but it becomes tedious
for more than a few images.

imagemagick can do this, its a command line batch image editor. its a
little tricky to figure out. I note its in the base Centos5 repository.

docs on http://www.imagemagick.org/script/index.php

Old 07-15-2008, 07:58 PM
Toby Bluhm

Chris Geldenhuis wrote:

Hi All,

I have been Googling my head off but cannot find a method to stream
edit all the images in a directory and to resize them. I have a large
number of images of up to 3GB in size that I want to put in albums on
a website, but before I do this I need to resize them to a more
realistic configuration.

I know how to do this manually with the GIMP but it becomes tedious
for more than a few images.

Running CentOS 5 as virtualised under XEN as a web server.

Try ImageMagick - yum info ImageMagick. It has lots of slick tools for
image manipulation.

--
Toby Bluhm
Alltech Medical Systems America, Inc.

Old 07-15-2008, 07:58 PM
Chris Payne

On Tue, Jul 15, 2008 at 09:47:26PM +0200, Chris Geldenhuis wrote:
> I have been Googling my head off but cannot find a method to stream edit
> all the images in a directory and to resize them. I have a large number of
> images of up to 3GB in size that I want to put in albums on a website, but
> before I do this I need to resize them to a more realistic configuration.
>
> I know how to do this manually with the GIMP but it becomes tedious for
> more than a few images.
>
> Running CentOS 5 as virtualised under XEN as a web server.

I wrote a shell script to do just that, attached below. It requires a couple
of readily available command line tools from the packages:

netpbm-progs
libjpeg

And of course you can tune the scaling and quality to suit your needs.

HTH
Chris
--
Chris Payne chris.payne@triumf.ca
TRIUMF ATLAS Tier-1 System Administrator - Networking

#!/bin/sh
for file in $* ; do
base=`basename $file`
# change depending on your camera file extension
prefix=`echo $base | sed -e "s/.jpg//i"`
# prefix=`echo $base | sed -e "s/.jpeg//i"`
if [ -f $prefix.small.jpeg ] ; then
echo skippin $file
else
echo shrinkin $file
jpegtopnm $file | pnmscale .35 | cjpeg -quality 75 > $prefix.small.jpg
fi
done

Old 07-15-2008, 07:59 PM
Scott Silva

on 7-15-2008 12:47 PM Chris Geldenhuis spake the following:

Hi All,

I have been Googling my head off but cannot find a method to stream edit
all the images in a directory and to resize them. I have a large number
of images of up to 3GB in size that I want to put in albums on a
website, but before I do this I need to resize them to a more realistic
configuration.

I know how to do this manually with the GIMP but it becomes tedious for
more than a few images.

Running CentOS 5 as virtualised under XEN as a web server.

Have you looked at Jalbum?
http://jalbum.net/
I think it is java, and they have it for windows, linux and mac.
It can even do the thumbnails.

And please don't yell at me with your subject! ;-P

--
MailScanner is like deodorant...
You hope everybody uses it, and

Old 07-15-2008, 08:03 PM
Chris Geldenhuis

Stephen John Smoogen wrote:

On Tue, Jul 15, 2008 at 1:47 PM, Chris Geldenhuis
I have been Googling my head off but cannot find a method to stream edit all
the images in a directory and to resize them. I have a large number of
images of up to 3GB in size that I want to put in albums on a website, but
before I do this I need to resize them to a more realistic configuration.

I know how to do this manually with the GIMP but it becomes tedious for more
than a few images.

imagemagick is what you want.

http://www.imagemagick.org/Usage/resize/

for i in *.. blah.

Running CentOS 5 as virtualised under XEN as a web server.

TIA

ChrisG

Thanks I will investigate

ChrisG

Old 07-15-2008, 08:05 PM
Max Hetrick

Chris Geldenhuis wrote:

I have been Googling my head off but cannot find a method to stream edit
all the images in a directory and to resize them. I have a large number
of images of up to 3GB in size that I want to put in albums on a
website, but before I do this I need to resize them to a more realistic
configuration.

I know how to do this manually with the GIMP but it becomes tedious for
more than a few images.

Install ImageMagick and use convert. Something like this will get you
started.

# cd /path/to/pics; mkdir resized
# for i in *.jpg; do convert -resize 50% $i resized/$i; done

Regards,
Max

Old 07-15-2008, 08:24 PM
"Tony Placilla"

John R Pierce <pierce@hogranch.com> wrote:
> Chris Geldenhuis wrote:
>> Hi All,
>>
>> I have been Googling my head off but cannot find a method to stream
>> edit all the images in a directory and to resize them. I have a large
>> number of images of up to 3GB in size that I want to put in albums on
>> a website, but before I do this I need to resize them to a more
>> realistic configuration.
>>
>> I know how to do this manually with the GIMP but it becomes tedious
>> for more than a few images.
>
> imagemagick can do this, its a command line batch image editor. its a
> little tricky to figure out. I note its in the base Centos5 repository.
>
> docs on http://www.imagemagick.org/script/index.php

for example:

mogrify -size 480x320 *.jpg

will convert all the jpgs to 480x320

mogrify -size 480x320> *.jpg

will resize everything bigger than 480x320 down & leave the smaller stuff alone.