Old 07-15-2008, 07:33 PM
Robert Moskowitz

Default Stopping a server not controled by service

Miredo is run as a server from the command line:

/usr/sbin/miredo

The man page says the signal SIGTERM stops the server.

How do I send SIGTERM to the server? Or SIGHUP, as I want to make a
change to the config file.

And once I get this as I want it, how do I run it at system boot?

Old 07-15-2008, 07:52 PM
Scott Silva

on 7-15-2008 12:33 PM Robert Moskowitz spake the following:

Miredo is run as a server from the command line:

/usr/sbin/miredo

The man page says the signal SIGTERM stops the server.

How do I send SIGTERM to the server? Or SIGHUP, as I want to make a
change to the config file.

And once I get this as I want it, how do I run it at system boot?
You will have to make a sys V init script for it. You can probably use an
existing script and edit it to suit your program, or there is example in
/usr/share/doc/initscripts-xxxxxx directory that you should be able to hack
at. That will also help you to get lock files and pid files going for it if
you need them.

The other choice is to add a line to /etc/rc.d/rc.local, but that won't give
you control with the system command.

--
MailScanner is like deodorant...
You hope everybody uses it, and

Old 07-15-2008, 07:54 PM
Alex

On Tue, 15 Jul 2008 13:33:41 -0600
Robert Moskowitz <rgm@htt-consult.com> took out a #2 pencil and
scribbled:

> Miredo is run as a server from the command line:
>
> /usr/sbin/miredo
>
> The man page says the signal SIGTERM stops the server.
>
> How do I send SIGTERM to the server? Or SIGHUP, as I want to
> make a change to the config file.

If you want to terminate the process you can find the PID via 'ps
aux' and issue the command 'kill -9 pidofprocess'. If you know the
name of the process you may use 'killall -9 processname'.

SIGHUP I always call 'kill -HUP pidofprocess'. Or 'killall -HUP
processname'.

SIGHUP will restart the process after it has died. Such as one does
with gdm-binary when meeting some unfortunate driver issue and you
want to restart the process rather than kill it off entirely.

> And once I get this as I want it, how do I run it at system boot?

You could put it in /etc/rc.local

Simply append '/usr/sbin/miredo to the end of /etc/rc.local

HTH

Alex White

--
ethericalzen@gmail.com
Life is a prison, death is a release

Old 07-15-2008, 07:55 PM
"Marcelo Roccasalva"

On Tue, Jul 15, 2008 at 4:33 PM, Robert Moskowitz <rgm@htt-consult.com> wrote:

> Miredo is run as a server from the command line:
>
> /usr/sbin/miredo
>
> The man page says the signal SIGTERM stops the server.

Supposing that miredo is a binary, you can:

killall -TERM miredo

If it's a script, I think the man page should tell you what to look for...

--
Marcelo

"¿No será acaso que ésta vida moderna está teniendo más de moderna que
de vida?" (Mafalda)

Old 07-15-2008, 07:59 PM
"William L. Maltby"

On Tue, 2008-07-15 at 13:33 -0600, Robert Moskowitz wrote:
> Miredo is run as a server from the command line:
>
> /usr/sbin/miredo
>
> The man page says the signal SIGTERM stops the server.
>
> How do I send SIGTERM to the server? Or SIGHUP, as I want to make a
> change to the config file.

kill -TERM <PID> # or -HUP

You can also use the numeric equivalents. I forget them all but a man
kill should lead you down the primrose path to total confusion! :-)

> And once I get this as I want it, how do I run it at system boot?

I would suggest a look at /etc/rc.local or /etc/rc.d/rc.local might do.
However, it runs late and so you may need to generate an init script,
stick it in /etc/rc/init.d and provide an appropriately named symlink.

If you choose this method, read up on chkconfig et al.

> <snip sig stuff>

HTH
--
Bill

Old 07-15-2008, 08:05 PM
Robert Moskowitz

Scott Silva wrote:

on 7-15-2008 12:33 PM Robert Moskowitz spake the following:

Miredo is run as a server from the command line:

/usr/sbin/miredo

The man page says the signal SIGTERM stops the server.

How do I send SIGTERM to the server? Or SIGHUP, as I want to make a
change to the config file.

And once I get this as I want it, how do I run it at system boot?
You will have to make a sys V init script for it. You can probably use
an existing script and edit it to suit your program, or there is
example in /usr/share/doc/initscripts-xxxxxx directory that you should
be able to hack at. That will also help you to get lock files and pid
files going for it if you need them.
Thanks. Something else to learn. I have been trying to document all
that I have been using (skipping what I have discarded, as I don't know
if I know it).

It has pid files: /var/run/miredo.pid

How would I get lock files?
The other choice is to add a line to /etc/rc.d/rc.local, but that
won't give you control with the system command.
I MUST include this in my docs. I keep forgetting the file name. This
will probably be good enough, as once I get it working, it will be an
auto start. And less effort than the first point.

Old 07-15-2008, 08:25 PM
"Filipe Brandenburger"

On Tue, Jul 15, 2008 at 15:54, Alex <ethericalzen@gmail.com> wrote:
> If you want to terminate the process you can find the PID via 'ps
> aux' and issue the command 'kill -9 pidofprocess'. If you know the
> name of the process you may use 'killall -9 processname'.

Why the hell -9?

TERM is -15 and HUP is -1 (but I would stick to the names).

Using -9 is almost always the wrong answer. It's a last resort when
everything else failed, and it should be reserved for such.

One should never use this command on a day-to-day basis, much less
teach it or suggest it in a mailing list like this one.

Filipe

Old 07-15-2008, 08:38 PM
Alex

On Tue, 15 Jul 2008 16:25:17 -0400
"Filipe Brandenburger" <filbranden@gmail.com> took out a #2 pencil
and scribbled:

> On Tue, Jul 15, 2008 at 15:54, Alex <ethericalzen@gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > If you want to terminate the process you can find the PID via
> > 'ps aux' and issue the command 'kill -9 pidofprocess'. If you
> > know the name of the process you may use 'killall -9
> > processname'.
>
> Why the hell -9?
>
> TERM is -15 and HUP is -1 (but I would stick to the names).
>
> Using -9 is almost always the wrong answer. It's a last resort
> when everything else failed, and it should be reserved for such.
>
> One should never use this command on a day-to-day basis, much less
> teach it or suggest it in a mailing list like this one.
>
> Filipe

You sir, are totally correct, I was thinking kill while reading
TERM. I was going to go back and correct this, but saw it was
already stated. So, yah. Don't run around killing processes like
that.

I swear I'm not as dippy as I sound lol

Sincerely,

Alex White

Old 07-15-2008, 09:08 PM
Scott Silva

on 7-15-2008 1:05 PM Robert Moskowitz spake the following:

Scott Silva wrote:

[...]

You create lock files as a simple way to not run a process more than one at a
time.
The other choice is to add a line to /etc/rc.d/rc.local, but that
won't give you control with the system command.
I MUST include this in my docs. I keep forgetting the file name. This
will probably be good enough, as once I get it working, it will be an
auto start. And less effort than the first point.

Yes, rc.local will be easier to get the service running, but if you are
creating something for distribution, service miredo restart can be easier for
a noobie then kill -HUP (what was that pid# again?)

Old 07-15-2008, 09:36 PM
Robert Moskowitz

Scott Silva wrote:

[...]

I was asking how I make/control a lock file when the rpm provides a
binary run module and the man page does not mention a lock file. How do
I find out if there is a lock file? How do I get one working? Do I
necessarily need one, perhaps the binary determines its running status
before trying to start a second copy? Actually, I think I discovered
that miredo will not start a second copy, oops.

The other choice is to add a line to /etc/rc.d/rc.local, but that
won't give you control with the system command.
I MUST include this in my docs. I keep forgetting the file name.
This will probably be good enough, as once I get it working, it will
be an auto start. And less effort than the first point.

Yes, rc.local will be easier to get the service running, but if you
are creating something for distribution, service miredo restart can be
easier for a noobie then kill -HUP (what was that pid# again?)

Miredo comes from sourceforge. Fortunately, I do not have to create it.....