FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > CentOS > CentOS

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 07-15-2008, 01:18 AM
Robert Moskowitz
 
Default vncviewer via gateway option question

the man page for vncviewer presents the -via gateway option to use ssh
through a gateway.


I understand if I want a secure vnc connection to server.foo.com I can
use the command:


vncviewer localhost -via server.foo.com

But I have moved my SSHD services from port 22 to port n. So according
to the man pages, I need an environment variable of VNC_VIA_CMD and
override the default command with:


/usr/bin/ssh -p 7722 -f -L "$L":"$H":"$R" "$G" sleep 20

where 7722 is the port for sshd.

How do I set up this environment variable on my notebook. Would I
modify my .bash_profile file, and is the format of the added line:



VNC_VIA_CMD=/usr/bin/ssh -p 7722 -f -L "$L":"$H":"$R" "$G" sleep 20

???


_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 
Old 07-15-2008, 01:35 AM
"Jim Perrin"
 
Default vncviewer via gateway option question

On Mon, Jul 14, 2008 at 9:18 PM, Robert Moskowitz <rgm@htt-consult.com> wrote:

> How do I set up this environment variable on my notebook. Would I modify my
> .bash_profile file, and is the format of the added line:
> VNC_VIA_CMD=/usr/bin/ssh -p 7722 -f -L "$L":"$H":"$R" "$G" sleep 20

You could actually do this a little bit easier, by defining a user ssh
config file in ~/.ssh

You could do something similar to:

Host myvncgateway
HostName server.com
User backupuser #default username
Port 2222 # Use this port instead of 22.


There's a whole mess of other options you can drop in here. man
ssh_config for all the goodies.

--
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.
George Orwell
_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 
Old 07-15-2008, 02:36 PM
Robert Moskowitz
 
Default vncviewer via gateway option question

Jim Perrin wrote:

On Mon, Jul 14, 2008 at 9:18 PM, Robert Moskowitz <rgm@htt-consult.com> wrote:



How do I set up this environment variable on my notebook. Would I modify my
.bash_profile file, and is the format of the added line:
VNC_VIA_CMD=/usr/bin/ssh -p 7722 -f -L "$L":"$H":"$R" "$G" sleep 20



You could actually do this a little bit easier, by defining a user ssh
config file in ~/.ssh

You could do something similar to:

Host myvncgateway
HostName server.com
User backupuser #default username
Port 2222 # Use this port instead of 22.

neat, but...

This simplified my ssh commands, not having to include the -p ____

But I could not get vncviewer working. For the command:

vncviewer gate.foo.com:5902 -via gate.foo.com

I get:

VNC Viewer Free Edition 4.1.2 for X - built Mar 14 2007 22:51:02
Copyright (C) 2002-2005 RealVNC Ltd.
See http://www.realvnc.com for information on VNC.
me@gate.foo.com's password:

Tue Jul 15 07:54:27 2008
CConn: connected to host localhost port 5599
channel 3: open failed: connect failed: Connection refused
main: End of stream



Where did port 5599 come from?

So I kind of gave up, I set up a SSH port forwarding and ran through that.

All this to make a change to my firewall rules. My firewall would not
accept an external admin connection, so I had to get an internal Firefox
client running on this system. Hop, Hop, Hop....



_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 
Old 07-15-2008, 03:31 PM
"Filipe Brandenburger"
 
Default vncviewer via gateway option question

On Tue, Jul 15, 2008 at 10:36, Robert Moskowitz <rgm@htt-consult.com> wrote:
>>> VNC_VIA_CMD=/usr/bin/ssh -p 7722 -f -L "$L":"$H":"$R" "$G" sleep 20
>>
>> You could actually do this a little bit easier, by defining a user ssh
>> config file in ~/.ssh
>
> This simplified my ssh commands, not having to include the -p ____

Actually that will be the default for VNC_VIA_CMD, so if you don't
need to specify the port number you don't need to include that
variable specification in your .bashrc/.bash_profile.

> vncviewer gate.foo.com:5902 -via gate.foo.com

Actually it seems to me you are specifying a port number after the
server name, when it should in fact be a *display* number.

When you start the vncserver, you specify which display you want it to
bind, or it will tell you which one it used. That is the number you
have to use on your vncviewer command.

Probably something like:

$ vncviewer gate.foo.com:2 -via gate.foo.com

The 5599 port is probably the local port chosen by the -via option, it
will probably look up a free port in that range.

Let us know how that works for you.

HTH,
Filipe
_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 06:49 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org