Old 07-14-2008, 08:45 PM
"fabian dacunha"

Default off topic question plss need ur help

Dear All,

I have been using centos 5.1 for quite some time as out DNS and mail server
and been workin fine

i use sendmail as my mail server

i did setup a backup mail server as per docs and ran th dns test from
http://www.checkdns.net

and it says both the mail servers are fine

but i would like to know the following

how would i really know if my main primary server is down all my mails r
goin to my secondary mail server

and when my primary is up are the mails copied back to my primary

i did put down my mail server for abt 3 hrs cause cant keep it down for
long but did not really see anything

also are there any websites that can chec both my mail servers correctly

apprecite and thnaks

believed to be clean.

Old 07-14-2008, 08:48 PM
Bobby

On Monday 14 July 2008 16:45:39 fabian dacunha wrote:

> how would i really know if my main primary server is down all my mails r
> goin to my secondary mail server
>
> and when my primary is up are the mails copied back to my primary
>
> i did put down my mail server for abt 3 hrs cause cant keep it down for
> long but did not really see anything

You have a few options here. You can write, or have someone write a script
which monitors the servers. You can install some of the server monitoring s/w
that's available. F.ex. Zenoss. Google or check sourceforge.net for
management tools.

--

Bobby

Old 07-14-2008, 09:21 PM
Scott Silva

on 7-14-2008 1:45 PM fabian dacunha spake the following:

Dear All,

I have been using centos 5.1 for quite some time as out DNS and mail server
and been workin fine

i use sendmail as my mail server

i did setup a backup mail server as per docs and ran th dns test from
http://www.checkdns.net

and it says both the mail servers are fine

but i would like to know the following

how would i really know if my main primary server is down all my mails r
goin to my secondary mail server

and when my primary is up are the mails copied back to my primary

i did put down my mail server for abt 3 hrs cause cant keep it down for
long but did not really see anything

also are there any websites that can chec both my mail servers correctly

apprecite and thnaks

A real simple test would be to bring down the primary and send yourself
something from an outside address like yahoo or gmail. give it 10 or 15
minutes, bring the primary up and when you see the message to yourself, it
should have a header from your backup server also.

--
MailScanner is like deodorant...
You hope everybody uses it, and