FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > CentOS > CentOS

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 07-14-2008, 08:06 PM
Bowie Bailey
 
Default Cleaning up smp kernels

I have used the package-cleanup utility to remove old kernel packages,
but I noticed that it only removes the 'kernel' and 'kernel-devel'
packages. It does not touch 'kernel-smp', 'kernel-hugemem', etc. What
is the recommended method of cleaning up these other kernel packages?
Should I just 'yum remove' the ones I don't need?

Some of my servers have a few piling up...

# rpm -q kernel-smp
kernel-smp-2.6.9-34.EL
kernel-smp-2.6.9-34.0.1.EL
kernel-smp-2.6.9-34.0.2.EL
kernel-smp-2.6.9-42.0.2.EL
kernel-smp-2.6.9-42.0.3.EL
kernel-smp-2.6.9-55.0.2.EL
kernel-smp-2.6.9-55.0.6.EL
kernel-smp-2.6.9-67.0.1.EL
kernel-smp-2.6.9-67.0.15.EL
kernel-smp-2.6.9-67.0.20.EL

--
Bowie
_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 
Old 07-14-2008, 08:30 PM
"Jim Perrin"
 
Default Cleaning up smp kernels

On Mon, Jul 14, 2008 at 4:06 PM, Bowie Bailey <Bowie_Bailey@buc.com> wrote:
> I have used the package-cleanup utility to remove old kernel packages,
> but I noticed that it only removes the 'kernel' and 'kernel-devel'
> packages. It does not touch 'kernel-smp', 'kernel-hugemem', etc. What
> is the recommended method of cleaning up these other kernel packages?
> Should I just 'yum remove' the ones I don't need?
>
> Some of my servers have a few piling up...
>

http://linux.duke.edu/~skvidal/useful-scripts/kernel-prune.py

this will generate a list of old kernel bits you don't need. You can
pipe it through rpm -e for cleanup.


--
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.
George Orwell
_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 
Old 07-14-2008, 08:39 PM
Bowie Bailey
 
Default Cleaning up smp kernels

Jim Perrin wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 14, 2008 at 4:06 PM, Bowie Bailey <Bowie_Bailey@buc.com>
> wrote:
> > I have used the package-cleanup utility to remove old kernel
> > packages, but I noticed that it only removes the 'kernel' and
> > 'kernel-devel' packages. It does not touch 'kernel-smp',
> > 'kernel-hugemem', etc. What is the recommended method of cleaning
> > up these other kernel packages? Should I just 'yum remove' the ones
> > I don't need?
> >
> > Some of my servers have a few piling up...
> >
>
> http://linux.duke.edu/~skvidal/useful-scripts/kernel-prune.py
>
> this will generate a list of old kernel bits you don't need. You can
> pipe it through rpm -e for cleanup.

So what you are saying is that it is ok to simply 'rpm -e' or 'yum
remove' unused kernel packages?

--
Bowie
_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 
Old 07-15-2008, 12:33 AM
MHR
 
Default Cleaning up smp kernels

On Mon, Jul 14, 2008 at 1:39 PM, Bowie Bailey <Bowie_Bailey@buc.com> wrote:
> Jim Perrin wrote:
>>
>> http://linux.duke.edu/~skvidal/useful-scripts/kernel-prune.py
>>
>> this will generate a list of old kernel bits you don't need. You can
>> pipe it through rpm -e for cleanup.
>
> So what you are saying is that it is ok to simply 'rpm -e' or 'yum
> remove' unused kernel packages?
>

Well, you could do it by hand, but it's probably a lot easier with rpm
(or yum, but for this I'd stick to rpm...).

mhr
_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 12:26 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org