Old 07-14-2008, 07:35 PM
Steve Huff

Default so many problem CENTOS 5.2 with DELL servers????

On Jul 14, 2008, at 3:24 PM, mcclnx mcc wrote:

Anyone know why? IS CENTOS 5.2 certify with DELL server?

the Red Hat Hardware Catalog is here:

https://hardware.redhat.com/

the PowerEdge 2650 is supported for i386:

https://hardware.redhat.com/show.cgi?id=232318

the R900 is supported under 5.1 for i386 and x86_64:

https://hardware.redhat.com/show.cgi?id=359681

this might explain some of the problems you're experiencing with 5.2
on the R900.

-steve

--
If this were played upon a stage now, I could condemn it as an
improbable fiction. - Fabian, Twelfth Night, III,v

Old 07-14-2008, 07:36 PM
"Stephen John Smoogen"

On Mon, Jul 14, 2008 at 1:24 PM, mcclnx mcc <mcclnx@yahoo.com.tw> wrote:
> I have been installed CENTOS 5.2 on several DELL servers and have following
> problems (even latest patches apply):
>

> 1. DELL 2650 can NOT boot under CENTOS 5.2 PAE mode

Is the 2650 PAE compatible?
Does the system have the latest Dell BIOS on it?

> 2. DELL R900 can NOT boot under CENTOS 5.2 PAE mode (inifinite boot loop)
>

> 3. DELL R900 with 128 GB RAM can only see 15 GB RAM under CENTOS 5.2 Xen
> mode

I think that you are wanting to use 64 bit Linux versus 32 bit.

http://www.nabble.com/query-on-physical-memory-map-for-Xen--td16625725.html

> Anyone know why? IS CENTOS 5.2 certify with DELL server?

Uhm no. I don't think Dell certifies CentOS to work with their OS. You
would need to contact Dell though versus CentOS.

> Does CENTOS 5.1 have similiar problem or NOT?

Yes. [All caps is a sign of yelling in english... not sure what you
are aiming for.]

--
Stephen J Smoogen. -- BSD/GNU/Linux

Old 07-14-2008, 07:37 PM
Scott Silva

on 7-14-2008 12:24 PM mcclnx mcc spake the following:
I have been installed CENTOS 5.2 on several DELL servers and have
following problems (even latest patches apply):

1. DELL 2650 can NOT boot under CENTOS 5.2 PAE mode

2. DELL R900 can NOT boot under CENTOS 5.2 PAE mode (inifinite boot loop)

3. DELL R900 with 128 GB RAM can only see 15 GB RAM under CENTOS 5.2 Xen
mode

Anyone know why? IS CENTOS 5.2 certify with DELL server?

Does CENTOS 5.1 have similiar problem or NOT?

Thanks.

Did you try a 64 bit install?

Do you have to turn on PAE in the bios on those servers? I have HP servers
that you have to enable PAE or it doesn't work.

And CentOS isn't really "certified" with anything. Free distros don't usually
pay to be certified. But if it is listed to work on RedHat Enterprise Linux
5.2 then CentOS should also work.

--
MailScanner is like deodorant...
You hope everybody uses it, and

Old 07-14-2008, 08:10 PM
Johnny Hughes

mcclnx mcc wrote:

I have been installed CENTOS 5.2 on several DELL servers and have following problems (even latest patches apply):

1. DELL 2650 can NOT boot under CENTOS 5.2 PAE mode

Did you install the PAE kernel and are you booting the PAE kernel?

2. DELL R900 can NOT boot under CENTOS 5.2 PAE mode (inifinite boot loop)

Same as question 1.

3. DELL R900 with 128 GB RAM can only see 15 GB RAM under CENTOS 5.2 Xen mode

http://www.centos.org/docs/5/html/5.1/Virtualization_Guide/ch-virt-hw-support.html

Anyone know why? IS CENTOS 5.2 certify with DELL server?

As others have stated, CentOS does not certify with any places that
would cost money. That is how you get it for free.

Does CENTOS 5.1 have similiar problem or NOT?

I don't think there will be any difference