Old 07-14-2008, 03:43 PM
Tony Schreiner

Default pci-x v2 detect on command line

Is there a way to tell from the OS whether the PCI-X bus is version 2
or not?

Tony Schreiner

Old 07-14-2008, 04:28 PM
"Bo Lynch"

On Mon, July 14, 2008 11:43 am, Tony Schreiner wrote:
> Is there a way to tell from the OS whether the PCI-X bus is version 2
> or not?
>
> Tony Schreiner

If you run lspci it should display info about your pci bus.

Old 07-14-2008, 04:59 PM
Tony Schreiner

On Jul 14, 2008, at 12:28 PM, Bo Lynch wrote:

On Mon, July 14, 2008 11:43 am, Tony Schreiner wrote:

Is there a way to tell from the OS whether the PCI-X bus is version 2
or not?

Tony Schreiner

If you run lspci it should display info about your pci bus.

I know about lscpi, but I don't know if it's telling what version

# lspci | grep PCI-X
80:10.0 PCI bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] AMD-8132 PCI-X
Bridge (rev 11)

80:10.1 PIC: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] AMD-8132 PCI-X IOAPIC (rev 11)
80:11.0 PCI bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] AMD-8132 PCI-X
Bridge (rev 11)

80:11.1 PIC: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] AMD-8132 PCI-X IOAPIC (rev 11)

this is on an Appro Xtreme

or on a Dell PowerEdge 2900
# lspci | grep PCI-X
04:00.0 PCI bridge: Broadcom EPB PCI-Express to PCI-X Bridge (rev c3)
06:00.3 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 6311ESB/6321ESB PCI Express to
PCI-X Bridge (rev 01)

08:00.0 PCI bridge: Broadcom EPB PCI-Express to PCI-X Bridge (rev c3)

the Dell documentation says its 64-bit/133 MHz, which I think means
it is PCI-X version 1.

Tony

Old 07-15-2008, 09:45 AM
Peter Kjellstrom

On Monday 14 July 2008, Tony Schreiner wrote:
> On Jul 14, 2008, at 12:28 PM, Bo Lynch wrote:
> > On Mon, July 14, 2008 11:43 am, Tony Schreiner wrote:
> >> Is there a way to tell from the OS whether the PCI-X bus is version 2
> >> or not?

You basically have two ways to go. 1) Google the PCI bridge 2) run lspci with
a few -v options and attempt to decode the output.

The first approach would have told you that the AMD bridge does indeed support
PCI-X version 2 but only to 266 MHz (assuming the board/bios etc. supports
it). The cheap intel chip you mentioned below wont even likely run 133 MHz
version 1 very fast...

But at this point it's probably relevant to ask why do you care? I have seen
many high performance PCI, PCI-X and PCI-express cards but PCI-X-2? ...that
hasn't seen any wide use at all. Do you really have a card that is PCI-X-2?
As I understand it it's quite dead in the water and everyone has moved on to
PCI-express.

/Peter

Old 07-15-2008, 03:13 PM
Tony Schreiner

On Jul 15, 2008, at 5:45 AM, Peter Kjellstrom wrote:

[...]

Thanks for the pointers. The reason I asked the question is I'm
investigating some Fibre Channel HBA's and was asked if I had if I
had PCI-X v2 available. I agree that I have not seen it mentioned in
the press or anywhere else very much.

Tony Schreiner

Old 07-15-2008, 03:22 PM
Peter Kjellstrom

On Tuesday 15 July 2008, Tony Schreiner wrote:
> On Jul 15, 2008, at 5:45 AM, Peter Kjellstrom wrote:
> > But at this point it's probably relevant to ask why do you care? I
> > have seen
> > many high performance PCI, PCI-X and PCI-express cards but PCI-
> > X-2? ...that
> > hasn't seen any wide use at all. Do you really have a card that is
> > PCI-X-2?
> > As I understand it it's quite dead in the water and everyone has
> > moved on to
> > PCI-express.
> >
> > /Peter
>
> Thanks for the pointers. The reason I asked the question is I'm
> investigating some Fibre Channel HBA's and was asked if I had if I
> had PCI-X v2 available. I agree that I have not seen it mentioned in
> the press or anywhere else very much.
>
> Tony Schreiner

I see, for FC I'd go with a 8x PCI-express HBA.

/Peter