Old 07-14-2008, 06:48 AM
John R Pierce

Default Hardware Compatibility List (looking for a gigabit nic on RHEL4)

Jason Pyeron wrote:

Where should I start on my quest to find gigabit ethernet cards for all our
workstations?

Intel pro1000 cards or onboard chips.

Old 07-14-2008, 07:57 AM
Rainer Duffner

John R Pierce schrieb:

Jason Pyeron wrote:
Where should I start on my quest to find gigabit ethernet cards for
all our

workstations?

Intel pro1000 cards or onboard chips.

I'm not sure if RHEL4 has support for the latest Intel Pro 1000 cards -
though Intel cards are definitely recommended. Just make sure the kernel
knows about the chipset. Buying cards one or two revisions behind the
current model via ebay can also yield some nice savings.

FreeBSD lists the supported chipsets in the man-page of the driver:
http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/man.cgi?query=em&apropos=0&sektion=4&manpath=FreeB SD+7.0-RELEASE&format=html

I'm not sure if people at RedHat (or people writing drivers for the
linux-kernel in general) actually know how to write a man-page - but I'm
sure this information is somewhere in the kernel-documentation - or in
the driver source...

Do your workstations have PCIe or PCI-X slots?

cheers,
Rainer