Old 07-14-2008, 03:46 AM
Kurt Hansen

Default madwifi on Centos 5.2, kernel 2.6.18-92.1.6.el5

Hello,

I just installed Centos 5.2 on my wife's IBM thinkpad T41 with Atheros
wireless.

It looks like I need to install madwifi to get the wireless to work. Our
home wireless network uses WPA2

I found the EL5 rpms at atrpms, but there is no madwifi-kmdl rpms for
kernel 2.6.18-92.1.6.el5.

So, to get the wireless working on my home network, what's the shortest
path from here? Install madwifi from source (was part the way there but
discovered the rpms when I looked for the wpa_supplicant stuff)? Or, can
I use one of the other madwifi-kmdl rpms? Or, go back to an earlier kernel?

Thanks for your help!

Take care,

Kurt Hansen

Old 07-14-2008, 04:08 AM
Hendrik Strydom

Any of these approaches will work.
There is a bug in madwifi (or at least a difference in opinion on RH
kernels) as per
http://madwifi.org/ticket/1956
As documented there this requires a trivial source code change in order
to get the modules to compile.
If your system already attempts to compile the module at boot time you
only need to make the change in the code found under /usr/src and all
should be well. If not, compile it from madwifi source or an atrpms
source rpm as per your preference.

Regards
Hendrik

Old 07-14-2008, 09:39 PM
Dag Wieers

I just installed Centos 5.2 on my wife's IBM thinkpad T41 with Atheros
wireless.

It looks like I need to install madwifi to get the wireless to work. Our home
wireless network uses WPA2

I found the EL5 rpms at atrpms, but there is no madwifi-kmdl rpms for kernel
2.6.18-92.1.6.el5.

So, to get the wireless working on my home network, what's the shortest path
from here? Install madwifi from source (was part the way there but discovered
the rpms when I looked for the wpa_supplicant stuff)? Or, can I use one of
the other madwifi-kmdl rpms? Or, go back to an earlier kernel?

If you actually looked at the CentOS wiki, you would have found this when
searching for madwifi:

http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/Laptops/Wireless

which should help. If it doesn't, we'd be pleased to know about it.

Thanks,

Old 07-14-2008, 10:31 PM
Kurt Hansen

Dag Wieers wrote:

I just installed Centos 5.2 on my wife's IBM thinkpad T41 with
Atheros wireless.

It looks like I need to install madwifi to get the wireless to work.
Our home wireless network uses WPA2

I found the EL5 rpms at atrpms, but there is no madwifi-kmdl rpms for
kernel 2.6.18-92.1.6.el5.

So, to get the wireless working on my home network, what's the
shortest path from here? Install madwifi from source (was part the
way there but discovered the rpms when I looked for the
wpa_supplicant stuff)? Or, can I use one of the other madwifi-kmdl
rpms? Or, go back to an earlier kernel?

If you actually looked at the CentOS wiki, you would have found this
when searching for madwifi:

http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/Laptops/Wireless

which should help. If it doesn't, we'd be pleased to know about it.
Following the instructions at that page worked! Just had to reboot at
the end, login and the machine was connected. Thanks!

I'll be sure to look at the Wiki first from now on. I had serched the
mailing list, the madwifi docs, madwifi wiki, and a couple of rpm
repositories before making the request on the list -- I figured there
must be something I was missing.

Take care,

Kurt Hansen

Old 07-14-2008, 10:39 PM
Dag Wieers

[...]

I am glad. In essence the reboot is not necessary.

Old 07-14-2008, 10:40 PM
"Akemi Yagi"

On Mon, Jul 14, 2008 at 3:31 PM, Kurt Hansen <khansen@charityweb.net> wrote:

> Dag Wieers wrote:

>> If you actually looked at the CentOS wiki, you would have found this when
>> searching for madwifi:
>>
>> http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/Laptops/Wireless
>>
>> which should help. If it doesn't, we'd be pleased to know about it.
>
> Following the instructions at that page worked! Just had to reboot at the
> end, login and the machine was connected. Thanks!
>
> I'll be sure to look at the Wiki first from now on. I had serched the
> mailing list, the madwifi docs, madwifi wiki, and a couple of rpm
> repositories before making the request on the list -- I figured there must
> be something I was missing.

Well... you could have searched the CentOS forums. :-) A simple
search would have found a thread like this one:

http://www.centos.org/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=15003&forum=40&post_id=5228 8#forumpost52288

Akemi