Old 07-13-2008, 06:27 PM
Ryan Nichols

Default Kernel Upgrade and RAID Card

Ok, I've got a RocketRAID 2300 and when i do the update of the kernel it
breaks the raid card since the OS is on the raid card itself, i need to
install the driver into the new kernel.. Whats the best way to do this?
I am reading the manual from the manufacter, but i dont see anything as
to a new kernel upgrade.

Thanks,
Ryan Nichols

Old 07-13-2008, 07:07 PM
Johnny Hughes

Ryan Nichols wrote:
Ok, I've got a RocketRAID 2300 and when i do the update of the kernel it
breaks the raid card since the OS is on the raid card itself, i need to
install the driver into the new kernel.. Whats the best way to do this?
I am reading the manual from the manufacter, but i dont see anything as
to a new kernel upgrade.

If the kernel module is built from an external driver, you can just copy
it to it's place in the new kernel path and then run the command:

depmod -a <version>

also need to rerun mkinitd like this:

mkinitrd /boot/initrd-<version>.img <version>

Old 07-13-2008, 07:18 PM
Ryan Nichols

Johnny Hughes wrote:
Ryan
Nichols wrote:

Ok, I've got a RocketRAID 2300 and when i do
the update of the kernel it breaks the raid card since the OS is on the
raid card itself, i need to install the driver into the new kernel..
Whats the best way to do this? I am reading the manual from the
manufacter, but i dont see anything as to a new kernel upgrade.

If the kernel module is built from an external driver, you can just
copy it to it's place in the new kernel path and then run the command:

depmod -a <version>

also need to rerun mkinitd like this:

mkinitrd /boot/initrd-<version>.img <version>

First command, no error.. 2nd command said image already exists?

Thanks,

Ryan Nichols

Old 07-13-2008, 07:30 PM
Ryan Nichols

Johnny Hughes wrote:
Ryan
Nichols wrote:

Ok, I've got a RocketRAID 2300 and when i do
the update of the kernel it breaks the raid card since the OS is on the
raid card itself, i need to install the driver into the new kernel..
Whats the best way to do this? I am reading the manual from the
manufacter, but i dont see anything as to a new kernel upgrade.

If the kernel module is built from an external driver, you can just
copy it to it's place in the new kernel path and then run the command:

depmod -a <version>

also need to rerun mkinitd like this:

mkinitrd /boot/initrd-<version>.img <version>

Ok, I used -f to get around that.. but now it hates my raid controller
and is throwing all kinds of errors...

Thanks,

Ryan Nichols

Old 07-13-2008, 07:37 PM
Johnny Hughes

Ryan Nichols wrote:

Johnny Hughes wrote:

Ryan Nichols wrote:
Ok, I've got a RocketRAID 2300 and when i do the update of the kernel
it breaks the raid card since the OS is on the raid card itself, i
need to install the driver into the new kernel.. Whats the best way
to do this? I am reading the manual from the manufacter, but i dont
see anything as to a new kernel upgrade.

If the kernel module is built from an external driver, you can just
copy it to it's place in the new kernel path and then run the command:

depmod -a <version>

also need to rerun mkinitd like this:

mkinitrd /boot/initrd-<version>.img <version>

Ok, I used -f to get around that.. but now it hates my raid controller
and is throwing all kinds of errors...

If it works ok on the old kernel, it should also work OK on the new one.

Old 07-13-2008, 07:42 PM
Ryan Nichols

Johnny Hughes wrote:
Ryan
Nichols wrote:

*
Ok, I used -f to get around that.. but now it hates my raid controller
and is throwing all kinds of errors...

If it works ok on the old kernel, it should also work OK on the new
one.

No idea, it says the OS drive is corrupt,all kinds of errors.. i hate
this install that was recommended of putting the stupid OS on the
rocketraid card for this very reason..

Thanks,

Ryan Nichols

Old 07-13-2008, 08:14 PM
Ryan Nichols

Johnny Hughes wrote:
Ryan
Nichols wrote:

Johnny Hughes wrote:

Ryan Nichols wrote:

Ok, I've got a RocketRAID 2300 and when i
do the update of the kernel it breaks the raid card since the OS is on
the raid card itself, i need to install the driver into the new
kernel.. Whats the best way to do this? I am reading the manual from
the manufacter, but i dont see anything as to a new kernel upgrade.

If the kernel module is built from an external driver, you can just
copy it to it's place in the new kernel path and then run the command:

depmod -a <version>

also need to rerun mkinitd like this:

mkinitrd /boot/initrd-<version>.img <version>

*
Ok, I used -f to get around that.. but now it hates my raid controller
and is throwing all kinds of errors...

If it works ok on the old kernel, it should also work OK on the new
one.

ata1.00: status { DRDY }** over and over

No idea what i broke..

Thanks,

Ryan Nichols

Old 07-13-2008, 08:23 PM
Rainer Duffner

If it works ok on the old kernel, it should also work OK on the new
one.

Not if it's a binary-driver...

ata1.00: status { DRDY } over and over

No idea what i broke..

You upgraded the kernel...

Seriously - if this driver is not included in the vanilla- or
distribution-kernel, get the heck rid of it (the hardware).

With very few exceptions it's usually not worth the trouble.
One of these exceptions is Areca (don't know if the driver is in now
RHEL/CentOS) - the guy maintaining the driver at Areca actually
responds to email enquiries.

But then, they distribute source and not BLOBs.

cheers,
Rainer

Old 07-13-2008, 09:19 PM
Ryan Nichols

Rainer Duffner wrote:

If it works ok on the old kernel, it should also work OK on the new
one.

Not if it's a binary-driver...

ata1.00: status { DRDY } over and over

No idea what i broke..

You upgraded the kernel...

Seriously - if this driver is not included in the vanilla- or
distribution-kernel, get the heck rid of it (the hardware).

With very few exceptions it's usually not worth the trouble.
One of these exceptions is Areca (don't know if the driver is in now
RHEL/CentOS) - the guy maintaining the driver at Areca actually
responds to email enquiries.

But then, they distribute source and not BLOBs.

cheers,
Rainer

Thats the point Im at, but the man who pays for this hardware wants us
to make this work because we already own it and it works until we
attempt an upgrade of the kernel .. So i guess its onto tech support
with HighPoint RocketRaid...

Thanks,
Ryan Nichols

Old 07-13-2008, 09:58 PM
Ryan Nichols

Rainer Duffner wrote:

If it works ok on the old kernel, it should also work OK on the new
one.

Not if it's a binary-driver...

ata1.00: status { DRDY } over and over

No idea what i broke..

You upgraded the kernel...

Seriously - if this driver is not included in the vanilla- or
distribution-kernel, get the heck rid of it (the hardware).

With very few exceptions it's usually not worth the trouble.
One of these exceptions is Areca (don't know if the driver is in now
RHEL/CentOS) - the guy maintaining the driver at Areca actually
responds to email enquiries.

But then, they distribute source and not BLOBs.

cheers,
Rainer

ata1.00 cmd c8/00:08:00:00:00:/00:00:00:00/E0 tag 0 dma 4096 in
ata1.00 status: {DRDY}
ata1.execption Emask 0x0 SAct 0x0 SErr 0x0 action 0x2 frozen

and it keeps going and going until it hits Buffer I/O error on device
sdc, logical block 0

and if i go back to grub take the old kernel its happy..
werid..

Ryan Nichols