-   -   How Do I Get Info About New RPMs in Major REPOs (http://www.linux-archive.org/centos/123988-how-do-i-get-info-about-new-rpms-major-repos.html)

John Thomas 07-13-2008 02:59 PM

How Do I Get Info About New RPMs in Major REPOs

I would like to know about new software (rpms) with a general
description as they become available in the major repos.

Is there a way to get an RSS feed?

Currently, I run "yum --enablerepo=* list recent" in cron.daily, but it
does not provide a description.

I'm like a kid in a candy store with all this great free software.
Thank you, by the way!

--
Sincerely,
John Thomas

Kenneth Burgener 07-13-2008 03:09 PM

How Do I Get Info About New RPMs in Major REPOs

I would like to know about new software (rpms) with a general
description as they become available in the major repos.

Currently, I run "yum --enablerepo=* list recent" in cron.daily, but it
does not provide a description.

The following will cycle through the recently added packages, and then
output the description for each package. You could then have this
mailed to you, or what ever you do with your cron job.

yum -q list recent | cut -f 1 -d ' ' | grep -v "Recently"
| xargs -L 1 yum -q info

Kenneth

Kenneth Porter 07-14-2008 12:09 AM

How Do I Get Info About New RPMs in Major REPOs

--On Sunday, July 13, 2008 7:59 AM -0700 John Thomas
I would like to know about new software (rpms) with a general description
as they become available in the major repos.

Is there a way to get an RSS feed?

Most have an -announce mailing list. For CentOS, I use a procmail filter to
put the package announcements for my version and arch in one Dovecot IMAP
folder, and all the others in another folder.

John Thomas 07-14-2008 12:20 AM

Kenneth Porter wrote:

I would like to know about new software (rpms) with a general description
as they become available in the major repos.
Most have an -announce mailing list. For CentOS, I use a procmail filter
to put the package announcements for my version and arch in one Dovecot
IMAP folder, and all the others in another folder.

Could I trouble you for a few examples/links?

--
Sincerely,
John Thomas

Ralph Angenendt 07-14-2008 09:53 AM

Kenneth Porter wrote:
> --On Sunday, July 13, 2008 7:59 AM -0700 John Thomas
> <gmane-2006-04-16@jt-socal.com> wrote:
>
>> I would like to know about new software (rpms) with a general description
>> as they become available in the major repos.
>>
>> Is there a way to get an RSS feed?
>
> Most have an -announce mailing list. For CentOS, I use a procmail filter
> to put the package announcements for my version and arch in one Dovecot
> IMAP folder, and all the others in another folder.

You know that you can set filters for the announce list, so that you
only get to see announcements for the archs you are interested in?

<http://lists.centos.org/mailman/options/centos-announce> - you have to
login with your mail address and the password you chose for that list
(or the one you have been given by the list).

No need to filter on your side >:)

Cheers,

Ralph