Old 07-13-2008, 12:28 PM
"Dirk H. Schulz"

Default Cluster: understanding virtual IP

Hi folks,

I have set up a cluster on CentOS 5.2 using /etc/cluster/cluster.conf - and
it works fine. It's only purpose is to switch a virtual IP between two
routers.

Now the service is running, I can ping the virtual IP from outside - but
this virtual IP is not bound to any interface. How does this work? Can I
force the cluster to bind it to a certain interface?

I need this because the routing daemon (xorp) does not make use of an ip
address that is not bound to an interface.

Any hint or help is appreciated.

Dirk

Old 07-13-2008, 02:56 PM
"Dirk H. Schulz"

Okay, I found that ifconfig does not show the virtual IP address, but "ip
addr show" shows it bound to an interface. Seems that ifconfig can only
handle old style aliases.

dirk

--On 13. Juli 2008 14:28:29 +0200 "Dirk H. Schulz"
I have set up a cluster on CentOS 5.2 using /etc/cluster/cluster.conf -
and it works fine. It's only purpose is to switch a virtual IP between
two routers.

Now the service is running, I can ping the virtual IP from outside - but
this virtual IP is not bound to any interface. How does this work? Can I
force the cluster to bind it to a certain interface?

I need this because the routing daemon (xorp) does not make use of an ip
address that is not bound to an interface.

Any hint or help is appreciated.

Dirk

Dirk H. Schulz
IT Systems Service
Wiesenweg 12, 85567 Grafing
Tel. 0 80 92/86 25 68
Fax. 0 80 92/86 25 72

Old 07-13-2008, 03:58 PM
"Filipe Brandenburger"

On Sun, Jul 13, 2008 at 10:56 AM, Dirk H. Schulz
<dirk.schulz@kinzesberg.de> wrote:
> Okay, I found that ifconfig does not show the virtual IP address

Are you sure?

These are interface aliases, they should show up as a "different"
interface such as eth0:0 or eth0:1. If you run "ifconfig" without any
parameters, doesn't it show up?

Filipe

Old 07-13-2008, 04:06 PM
John R Pierce