Old 07-11-2008, 11:40 AM
Rudi Ahlers

Default looking for motherboard / temp / hdd monitor, other than lmsensors

Hi all

What other good temp / motherboard / fan speed / HDD / etc monitor can I
use on CentOS 5.1 (or even 5.2 - still need to upgrade)? I know
lmsensors works ok'ish, but it doesn't pickup my Gigabyte motherboard
properly.

--

Kind Regards
Rudi Ahlers

Web: http://www.SoftDux.com
Check out my technical blog, http://blog.softdux.com for Linux or other technical stuff, or visit http://www.WebHostingTalk.co.za for Web Hosting stuff

Old 07-13-2008, 10:31 AM
Kai Schaetzl

William L. Maltby wrote on Sat, 12 Jul 2008 09:47:28 -0400:

> I don't know if it's good or what you want, but I use gkrellm

relies on lm_sensors according to the homepage. (and sys_fs, AFAIK
lm_sensors picks up sys_fs if it's available.)

I'm having the same problems with lm_sensors with newer motherboards (ones
from the last two years), some work, some don't. On some AMD motherboards
it helps to "rmmod k8temp" to get a reading. On some it doesn't.
I have one Intel board with I think Intel 5000X where lm_sensors also
fails with a message like "no sys_fs" or so, I don't really remember.
Do others know any tricks to get the data nevertheless?
I think the kernel and lm_sensors on Centos 5 are simply too old for some
chipsets. Also, there's sometimes a discrepancy between the support in the
kernel and in lm_sensors.

Kai

--
Kai Schätzl, Berlin, Germany

Old 07-13-2008, 11:49 AM
jarmo

Kai Schaetzl kirjoitti viestissään (lähetysaika sunnuntai, 13. heinäkuuta
2008):

> I'm having the same problems with lm_sensors with newer motherboards (ones
> from the last two years), some work, some don't. On some AMD motherboards
> it helps to "rmmod k8temp" to get a reading. On some it doesn't.
> I have one Intel board with I think Intel 5000X where lm_sensors also
> fails with a message like "no sys_fs" or so, I don't really remember.
> Do others know any tricks to get the data nevertheless?
> I think the kernel and lm_sensors on Centos 5 are simply too old for some
> chipsets. Also, there's sometimes a discrepancy between the support in the
> kernel and in lm_sensors.
>
> Kai

Look mbmon/xmbon at http://www.freshports.org/sysutils/mbmon/
Jarmo

Old 07-13-2008, 01:15 PM
Kai Schaetzl

Jarmo wrote on Sun, 13 Jul 2008 14:49:50 +0300:

> Look mbmon/xmbon at
> http://www.freshports.org/sysutils/mbmon/

It seems the current version of this software
(http://www.nt.phys.kyushu-u.ac.jp/shimizu/download/download.html)
is older than anything I get with CentOS.

I found an interesting thread here, but this would involve compiling a
kernel module and installing a non-Centos lm_sensors.
http://www.centos.org/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=14748

Kai

--
Kai Schätzl, Berlin, Germany